Getting Rid Of Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

qwertylol52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a freshwater tank that is being overtaken by aglae..mainly green spot algae on tank side and hair/fuzz algae on my plants..how do i get rid of them??? i am thinking of buying those algae solutions but i am afraid it will kill off the other algaes in my tank and my oto will die of lack of food..i bought the oto about 3 months ago thinking that they will eat off the spot and hair algae but they do not eat those type of algae..so what should i do??? will buying the algae solution be ok?

No, I am afraid it would kill too much of the algae. I would just scrape it off with a credit card, that is what I did when I had algae problems, I also used the solution though. Maybe get some more otos, that might help, a lot.

No, I am afraid it would kill too much of the algae. I would just scrape it off with a credit card, that is what I did when I had algae problems, I also used the solution though. Maybe get some more otos, that might help, a lot.

but the sad thing is, the ottos are not eating the algae at all..i always observe them and all they do is nible here and there on the gravel, filter and plants but th hair algae is not decreasing, in fact it is increasing..and i do weekly water changes too..

Then I would just gradually scrape it off with a credit card, maybe they don't like that type of algae, I know they are very picky about what they eat. Maybe if the algae is younger and not as "hard" for a lack of better words, they might eat it.

Can you describe the kind of algae? Adding more fish may make the matter worse!

i have 2 main algaes in my tank..the green spot algae that sticks to the side of my tank, i just scraped the off with a credit card like what the guy above suggested( thanks alot ). the second algae is either hair or fuzz algae, not really sure, it grows on my plants and side of the tank too..my algae eaters( corys,ottos and plec) aren't eating them both at all

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back