getting food to platy fry in community tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

max22

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a ten-gallon tank that is fairly new heavily planted with a marina S15 filter and a heater. I have 3 guppies that eat all of the food they can get their mouths on, but there are 2 two-month-old platies in the tank as well. I see them adventuring and eating some algae of a piece of driftwood but I can't get food to them very easily, I tried to put in a good bit of food and use tweezers to get some to the bottom but that caused an ammonia problem. I did not feed for at least 48 hours, today I put in a very small amount of crushed flake food which the guppies ate, and 2 or 3 blood worms for the ADF at the bottom and made sure he ate them. However, I'm very worried about the platies getting enough sustenance. Any advice?

Hi:)
I would put in a separate food for the platy fry, something specifically made for fry. Since they are younger, they have different food needs. As far as getting enough food, if you put in a little extra, they will be fine. I had platy fry in my tank and I actually didn't know they were there until they were around 3 weeks old.:) They were doing fine food wise. Do you have any other fish besides the guppies and platy fry?

I agree. Feed them Hikari First Bites or something like that. It’s a powder and will sink to the bottom. They can fit it in their months easily.

Last edited:
If they are still alive after 2 months they are eating something.

Frogs should be kept in a single species tank to prevent them eating the fish and other inhabitants. Frogs are also extremely sensitive to fish medications and if the fish ever get sick and need treating, the medications usually kill the frog.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back