Getting Blueberry Shrimp And Red Cherries. Keep Them Together Ofr Not

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheShrimpGirl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am getting 10 blue berry shrimp and 10 cred cherry shrimp for a 55 gallon tank.

Do these guys do well together or do I need to set up two different tanks.

Also, can they hybridize? I want to breed them to sell eventually, so I don't want any weird stuff going on in there.

If they did interbreed what would the results likely be?

I have a nicely planted and cycled tank all ready and waiting for them when they arrive.

if they are the same as blue pearl shrimp they will interbreed with cherrys
results normally dont turn out like either of there parents (apparently)

I am getting 10 blue berry shrimp and 10 cred cherry shrimp for a 55 gallon tank.

Do these guys do well together or do I need to set up two different tanks.

Also, can they hybridize? I want to breed them to sell eventually, so I don't want any weird stuff going on in there.

If they did interbreed what would the results likely be?

I have a nicely planted and cycled tank all ready and waiting for them when they arrive.

To answer your question, you would first have to find out the proper names of the shrimp. Dwarf Cherry shrimp are usually neocaridina heteropoda. If your "blueberry" shrimp are also neocaridina heterpoda, they will interbreed with each other. The likely result will be varying colours of purple, purple red, reddish purple, plum etc. It won't be apparent from looking at them if they are the same species or not because many of the dwarf shrimp look very similar to each other but can come from different families. Without knowing the names of them, I would keep them separate unless you want to experiment with breeding the different colours.

Yeah don't mix these !!!

Give me the pearl blue shrimp lol

if they are the same as blue pearl shrimp they will interbreed with cherrys
results normally dont turn out like either of there parents (apparently)

Blueberry Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp both have the same scientific name, so I guess they can breed together.

I may do some experimenting with the color varieties since I am sure it'd be fun.

The offspring will probably be a mixture of pure red, pure blue, a few variations of a blend of the two colors, and a few of the regular browns. This just going by my knowledge of genetics from breeding other types of animals. You generally get a few that look like the parents and then some oddballs. Plus some of the offspring will likely be the result of parents of the same variety mating.

The Blue Pearls and Blueberries are different. blue pearls are a variation of the Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis or snowball shrimp and the Blueberry and Red Cherry Shrimp are variations of the Neocaridina heteropoda.

blueberry Shrimp are also called Cobalt Blue shrimp if that helps.

Thanks for suggesting the scientific name search! It really helped.

They will interbreed, both being neocaridina. From my understanding the offspring will revert to their wild form, clearish.

I'm not sure that all of the offspring would be the wild color. Just some, at least I hope not.

You will get a mixture of colours from the offspring. They won't necessarily revert back to their wild colour. Wild cherry shrimp are not red at all. They tend to be a bit on the greenish brown side. The red has been bred into them selectively. When you breed cherry shrimp, you get more cherry shrimp. But, over time, (like many generations) if you don't introduce new breeding lines, the red will begin to fade if you leave the populations to expand out of control. This takes awhile to happen though.

When you breed cherry shrimp, you get more cherry shrimp. But, over time, (like many generations) if you don't introduce new breeding lines, the red will begin to fade if you leave the populations to expand out of control. This takes awhile to happen though.
that shouldn't happen... because the genes are not leaving the system and there red is of no advantage or a disadvantage in the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back