Getting back into planted tanks + lighting question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ScotF

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was active on this forum many (many) moons back, but about 9 years ago i reluctantly got rid of my *stunning* aquascaped Fluval Osaka tank + full planted setup for a pittance, due to impending fatherhood.

Now, I have found a little more free time and have decided to get back into the aquascaping game. Problem is, i seem to have forgotten just about everything, so ill be reading the stickies for a while.

When i had my Osaka, it had super bright T5 lighting (arcadia units as i recall). Now i see that LED lights are all the rage due to output and energy efficiency. Can anyone recommend a set of LED lights for a fully planted tank (purchased a 60 x 60 x 60 cube), how much lumens i may need?.

I plan to run CO2 and PMDD ( Poor Mans Dosing Drops - do people still use this or is there an alternative to that too??). Havent fully decided on the scape, but will be lots of anubias on red moor root, riccia carpet, tetras, shrimp and probably some blue rams.

Many thanks in advance

Scot

Hello and welcome to the forum, I can not answer your question. I use florescent T8 Aqueon plant lights for my tanks but I wanted you to know you were not being ignored.

I think that LED saves energy,but you can't beat fluorescent with the ability to vary the bulbs. But!. LED if don't you care that your plants and fish looks bland,can be bought from Home Depot or Amazon as used for screw in sockets or the square types sold as driveway lights..porch lights,that kind of thing. They grow plants. Even Walmart LED desk lights over a nano tank give abundant light at 4 watts!..saves money.
If you do care? Watch the vids on youtube doing comparisons. Fluval at twice the cost is the clear winner...Finnex seems to be best budget,gives good color I could live with it. I doubt any non Fluval LED really give you that nice pop in color. Except for brands that cost even more..top end euro or Japanese lighting. Porsches of color.

I switched over to LED lights and I won't be going back. I have the Finnex Planted plus and I like it.

Between the slim design, customization, low power consumption, and light output.... these new lights are far superior.

Current, Finnex, and Fluval are the top picks for plants depending on your budget and preference. As another user mentioned even led shop lights can be great. IDK how good they would be for plants, but the output is good.

6500k is the color you'll want for plants.

Many thanks all for the replies.

I think Ill have a dig around and look into the LED options as they seem to be popular and effective. Ill check out the online videos as suggested.

Thanks again

Scot

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back