German Blue Rams?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ads25490

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A month or so ago I asked you all to sex my blue rams, the original 2 were in fact male and female and a couple of weeks ago had eggs, they were both looking after them raking it in turns as they do, but then 2 mornings after that they we're go which was expected and ever since then I don't see the female she makes an appearance every now and again and when she does the male just chases her away, she has hardly any colour on her looks really drab, I was wondering if this is normal I was also considering adding another female into there but if don't know if this will make things worse? Need your opinion folks?

Tank is a juwel rekord 70, heavily planted with have few hiding places, tank mates are 2 ottos, 2 guppies and a rubber nose pleco.

Thanks
Aaron

What do you expect the second female to do? If its stronger it will also chase your original female if it is weaker it will get chased and not help your problem. It is quite common for male cichlids to break up with its partner as soon as the female is not gravid anymore. If your tank is well planted and contains plenty of hiding places, the male should not do serious damage to the female. Imho, the best you can do is to feed the female well so it gets gravid again.

Thought the second female would of taken the attention away from the other, didn't think of them picking on the other one, I never knew feeding made them become gravid thought it just happened by itself.

Females can be as deadly or even more deadly than males sometimes. The best course of action is to give the female lots of places to hide, and feed her good food to get her into breeding condition again. The male is frustrated that she wont breed that's why hes aggressive.

Drab coloring normally indicates a stressed animal. I suggest adding more hiding places for her

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back