German Blue Rams intimidating each other!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AquariumNoobs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So we put our fish in our 55gallon community tank last week. We also got one couple of German Blue Rams. Now since the start they donā€™t really seem to be getting allong. The female chases after the male every now and then.

758661DD-4B0D-4858-90AA-DDE3119D1C7B.jpeg

(Above) Our male Ram, (Beneath) female Ram.
34F8331A-BB15-4017-8A54-CA3852810058.jpeg

Now we heard about couples not matching and that you could add another female to match with the male. So we did just that today.
CF1CCFA9-58A9-4208-A74D-CAAE8875B0CC.jpeg

So we addes female#2 to our tank today and thing seem to be only have gotten worse. Now female #1 is chasing both the new female and the male. She even seems to be keeping female #2 in a corner of the tank and #2 swims kind of sideways then as if she is giving in to the intimidation. Whenever the male comes to close to them #1 chases him away.

Whenever #1 chases the others around, they lose their color a bit for a little while.

Should we just wait until thing settle down a little or is there anything else we can do? Iā€™m personally also not too sure about the genders and I was thinking Female #1 might actually be a male.
Any advise is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Rams have to choose their own mates. Just any male and any female might well not get on. The best way to buy rams is to get a bonded pair, but that's not easy. Or buy half a dozen, wait for a pir to form and rehome the other four (it's worth checking if the shop will take them back)

Female #1 does look like a female based on fin shape. The dorsal and anal fins are rounded and the first rays of the dorsal fin aren't elongated. But it could be an immature male and the fins haven't grown yet.

Thanks for your reply. I doubt that the fish store will take them back. So what is the best thing for me to do now?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back