German Blue Ram, sick or Injured

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Alright, I donā€™t think this is related to my harlequin rasbora dying the other day, Iā€™ve kept up water changes, daily, but this guy, probably for the last 2 days? Has had this cut just behind his eye, he was the boss of the tank, for probably, 6 months? Now he definitely isnā€™t the boss and gets chased around by my female. I took a video of him, as I thought his gills might be red, but Iā€™m not sure, donā€™t know if you can see the cut, but he usually is quite pale expect a few minutes when I first turn my light on, he is still eating. And swimming around fine
edddcdd088aa963056a5dcf591a23312.jpg
e723c8f76d4abbaf631120a042758da1.jpg
9b2e5b2516c9ed0bebd82797484d8d0b.jpg
23125f0cac2c0975194089611f762cc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What species of fish is it meant to be, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus or. ramirezi?

Don't take this the wrong way but the fish looks terrible. It is pale, skinny, has a clamped tail and a red sinus. My guess is it has intestinal worms and gill flukes and is suffering from anemia.

I would treat all your tanks at the same time with Praziquantel (not mixed with anything, just Praziquantel) once a week for 3 weeks. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48hours after treating. This will kill any gill flukes and tapeworm. Then treat all your tanks with Levamisole to kill off any thread worms. Again treat once a week for 3 weeks and do a water change 24-48 hours after treating.

The fish's condition should improve after you have gotten rid of most of the parasites.

Feed the fish more food and more often for a while so it doesn't die from lack of blood.

Oh my god! I didnā€™t even think that, I knew he looked sick but wasnā€™t sure, where would I get those medications from? Is it ok if I donā€™t feed him tonight?

What species of fish is it meant to be, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus or. ramirezi?

Don't take this the wrong way but the fish looks terrible. It is pale, skinny, has a clamped tail and a red sinus. My guess is it has intestinal worms and gill flukes and is suffering from anemia.

I would treat all your tanks at the same time with Praziquantel (not mixed with anything, just Praziquantel) once a week for 3 weeks. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24-48hours after treating. This will kill any gill flukes and tapeworm. Then treat all your tanks with Levamisole to kill off any thread worms. Again treat once a week for 3 weeks and do a water change 24-48 hours after treating.

The fish's condition should improve after you have gotten rid of most of the parasites.

Feed the fish more food and more often for a while so it doesn't die from lack of blood.

Itā€™s ramerzi btw

Unless you have ammonia or nitrite issues, I would try to feed the fish 3 times a day until it has been treated for worms and gill flukes and then i would continue feeding it 3 times a day for about a month after that.

Praziquantel is available from any pet shop and is used to treat tapeworm in dogs & cats, but also treats tapeworm and gill flukes in fish.

Some pet shops carry Levamisole but some don't. Ask the local shop what they have for thread/ round worms in fish. If they don't have anything then google search for it and buy it online.

Unless you have ammonia or nitrite issues, I would try to feed the fish 3 times a day until it has been treated for worms and gill flukes and then i would continue feeding it 3 times a day for about a month after that.

Praziquantel is available from any pet shop and is used to treat tapeworm in dogs & cats, but also treats tapeworm and gill flukes in fish.

Some pet shops carry Levamisole but some don't. Ask the local shop what they have for thread/ round worms in fish. If they don't have anything then google search for it and buy it online.

So you reckon heā€™ll be right until I start medicating him? Iā€™ll get some of the praziquantel first thing tomorrow

So you reckon heā€™ll be right until I start medicating him? Iā€™ll get some of the praziquantel first thing tomorrow

After eating just then he does seem a lot more active, swimming around a lot more

2ee2176280545ad57c772428c2a619b3.jpg

c869bf6896768e47ea1b2f2a7ce5df72.jpg
would this one be alright?

I just watched a KGTropics video, he said to use Espom salt in your aquarium which means they will poop them out faster, is it worth it or not?

The product in the picture (Fluke & Tapeworm tablets, 100mg Praziquantel) is the product you want for treating tapeworm and gill flukes in fish.

Don't use Epsom Salts in an aquarium, it does nothing to intestinal worms.

When you treat the fish, the worms will be expelled naturally by the fish. There is no need to add anything else to help with this. Just deworm all your tanks at the same time so you kill the worms in all the tanks and all the fish and you won't get cross contamination afterwards.

The product in the picture (Fluke & Tapeworm tablets, 100mg Praziquantel) is the product you want for treating tapeworm and gill flukes in fish.

Don't use Epsom Salts in an aquarium, it does nothing to intestinal worms.

When you treat the fish, the worms will be expelled naturally by the fish. There is no need to add anything else to help with this. Just deworm all your tanks at the same time so you kill the worms in all the tanks and all the fish and you won't get cross contamination afterwards.

Alright, thanks, he ate a lot of brine shrimp today, probably half of a cube, (or close too), How long till the tablets start to work?

The worms are killed within a couple of hours of the medication being added to the tank. Quite often you will see worms being pooped out a few hours after treatment but you don't always see it.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

WAIT WHAT! I was meant to take the carbon out! Oh no I wish I was told that before I added the tablets... what do I do now?

The worms are killed within a couple of hours of the medication being added to the tank. Quite often you will see worms being pooped out a few hours after treatment but you don't always see it.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

I read that carbon filters only last around 4 weeks, well I havenā€™t changed mine for like 9 months, I probably washed it around 5-6 weeks ago, do I need to re medicate the tank or not

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back