April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Watson0712

Reaction score
I have recently entered the hobby, purchasing a Aquapod 56litre aquarium. Which I have included some small plants and larger rocks. I have cycled my tank and has the local fish store confirmed the conditions were now suitable for my first fish. I decided to go for a German Blue Ram although I had heard they are a challenging fish for beginners. Alongside a very small bristlenose pleco. Itā€™s been 3 days since I acclimated the fish into tank and the Ram tends to keep to one bottom side of the tank. Heā€™s eating well when I feed him. Although Iā€™m careful not to over feed to avoid an ammonia spike. Just wondering if this is normal behaviour as he get used to the new environment? And he does not seem to want to explore the aquarium.
Any advise is welcomed. And any recommendations for additions to my tank would be brilliant. I like the idea of have a fewer amount to 2/3/4 inch fish in the aquarium, maybe another Cichlid?

Attachments

• 63E542BD-2C23-4A62-8193-88BE664A5DD8.jpeg
    63E542BD-2C23-4A62-8193-88BE664A5DD8.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 9ED92293-0142-4DA6-A48E-1C8C77213B7C.jpeg
    9ED92293-0142-4DA6-A48E-1C8C77213B7C.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 108
Welcome to TFF.

This is the species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi which is now available in several different varieties but they are all derived from the one natural species. They occupy the lower third of the aquarium normally, and feed from the substrate which is how the genus got its name, roughly translated "small earth eater.' They are sensitive to water issues, so keep an eye on that, though your plants should prevent issues with the water. They are not active fish, being more sedate. It is likely still adjusting; different environments can stress fish so keep it calm.

This fish does need warmth however, no lower than 80F (27 C) and a degree or two higher won't hurt. This can sometimes pose a problem for other fish, so be careful about selecting additional species. The Bristlenose will manage at 80F, but some "tropical" fish cannot, long-term. The Ram must have this though, or it will not last more than a year if that. It has a normal 4-5 year lifespan.

Welcome to TFF.

This is the species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi which is now available in several different varieties but they are all derived from the one natural species. They occupy the lower third of the aquarium normally, and feed from the substrate which is how the genus got its name, roughly translated "small earth eater.' They are sensitive to water issues, so keep an eye on that, though your plants should prevent issues with the water. They are not active fish, being more sedate. It is likely still adjusting; different environments can stress fish so keep it calm.

This fish does need warmth however, no lower than 80F (27 C) and a degree or two higher won't hurt. This can sometimes pose a problem for other fish, so be careful about selecting additional species. The Bristlenose will manage at 80F, but some "tropical" fish cannot, long-term. The Ram must have this though, or it will not last more than a year if that. It has a normal 4-5 year lifespan.

would you be able to advise any particular fish around 3-4 inches, suitable for this temperature?

would you be able to advise any particular fish around 3-4 inches, suitable for this temperature?
I dont know about 3 to 4 inch fish but most shoaling tetras do well with rams and can handle the temp, plus shoaling fish help rams feel safe as their presence indicates the absence of predators.

Not for this particular tank. It is only 56 liters (15 gallons) and no 3-4 inch fish (with a very few exceptions) should be housed in this small a tank. Aside from that, fish this large are likely to unsettle if not stress out the Blue Ram, which is quite a sedate and sometimes shy fish. They can get quite feisty when spawning, but that is a very different thing.

Given the tank size, there are some suitable fish. Active swimming tetras like the Rummynose which would otherwise be OK with the temperature are not an option. So we look at less active fish. But this is likely to mean wild caught and smaller fish are more demanding of paramters (GH or geeneral hardness, and pH) so it would help to know these numbers before we suggest species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back