Geosesarma only tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, so i have a strange dimension tank and was thinking what might go in there and found this crab. It is mostly land animal and needs humidity and some water but not much. They also thrive in a palludarium like setup and in community of their own. However I am not sure if i can achieve this in the following dimensions: length 100cm, width 30cm, height 20cm.
I would also need a lid from what I understood but no light for them, only for the plants if needed.

Would it be possible to have a land rock moss, wood, leaves, plants setup with a shallow somehow separate pool with some
hiding places only 2 cm deep that i have yet to figure out in this dimensions?
given that they don't burrow deep the substrate doesn't need to be deep and the water could be a separate container/bowl right, that could somehow work?
I never had these types of creatures and was initially thinking axelotls but i think these dimensions won't work for them. Can't seem to find too many relevant information

I had a couple of them myself. The tank dimension didn't appear to be important as they spent a lot of time just hanging out in the area between the sponge filter base and the bottom of the spongs. I did have hardscape that poked up out of the water and they climbed up on that from time to time.
They don't breed in the tank so there's no particular things you need to prepare for that.
However, they are bloody good escape artists. I lost both of mine when they climbed up the air filter hose and I didn't know for some time as I didn't see them much in the tank anyway.

I can't imagine a filter in such a setup, i was thinking like 30cmx20cmx10cm height and you can't really fit a filter in there. Air stone and a pump sure, but not a filter. Would that mean i would need to change the water every few days?

Well, I still have my paludarium with those crabs in it. You don't really need a filter in there. But if you'd try to put a filter in there, you can just use a small mechanical filter and lay it down instead of using it vertically. Works perfectly...
IMG_5927.JPG
So, in there is a land and water section. Geosesarma crabs (whatever strain) love to have both sections in their habitat.
DSCF6316.JPGDSCF6342.JPGDSCF6352.JPGDSCF6376.JPGDSCF6384.JPGDSCF6386.JPG
Just be sure if you keep more than one specimen, that there's sufficient hiding spots. So, they can withdraw if needed. For sometimes they do fight.
DSCF6311.JPGDSCF6400.JPG
They eat almost everything.

Attachments

• DSCF6302.JPG
    DSCF6302.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I was thinkin making it a 80% land and only 20% water, will see how it goes. Am still trying to find technical details how to separate the water part and how to correctly set up a paludarium

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back