George's Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
gf225 said:
Have you heard of Diskusin?

I have and I am envious that you are able to get it. As far as I know it is not available in the U.S. due to a lack of a distributor. What I have heard about it is all word of mouth (type?), but from those that have tried it, all have seemed to like it to a certain degree (which is saying a lot for discus food). I guess in your case it would sound like a perfect alternative and probably much easier to get Digweed to like it.

gf225 said:
Also have you heard of adding garlic supplements?

I have only heard this talked about when adding it to a beefheart mix. Many people live by it, but I have yet to make a BH mix myself. Again, from what I have heard (read) it does seem to work very well. I have read a lot more about this rather than Diskusin, and it seems that a large majority find it does attract discus quite well.

Sorry I don't have personal experience with either food. Good luck! (And always post more pics!)

You cannot say I don't want the best for Digweed - I spent over £20 on food today for him.

1 pack of Diskusin http://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/diskusin/diskusin.htm

2 packs of frozen Brineshrimp enriched with Omega-3

1 250ml bottle of Seachem Entice http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Entice.html

Hopefully the Entice will allow Digweed to get into his dry foods. He's eating the Diskusin already though, although he's not going mad at it yet.

I was intending getting Kent Garlic Extreme but it was £16!! I think I could make my own for about £1, it's only loads of crushed garlic in a bit of RO water.

Here's some new pics -

Excuse the snails!

lol RYO!
Hey, we feed garlic to the horses, it keeps the flies away! :p
Your tank looks stunning, gf225! Digweed is adorable, I'd better keep this away from my mom... she'd be like, yeah, let's get some discus!! :S I love his coloring! :nod:
Well, best of wishes! (or fishes, if you're really tired like I am... :p )
Robin

My Sag is spreading well. Not bad for 2 WPG - just shows that you can have good growth with medium light, the key is in the nutrients.

Digweed is feeding well now too thankfully.

One interesting observation is that my Amano shrimps are out and about so much more now. This morning I saw 3 trying small shrimps to "attack" a bigger one. Later on where the "attack" had occured was an empty shrimp exoskeleton. The small shrimp were obviously helping the big shrimp to remove its old skin - how cool is that?!!

I'm ordering my pressurized CO2 system very soon. Excitement isn't the word - how sad is that!!

I'm quite proud of this photo - one of my better shots. Note the white "spots" are pearling.

gorgeous photo as usual!

One interesting observation is that my Amano shrimps are out and about so much more now. This morning I saw 3 trying small shrimps to "attack" a bigger one. Later on where the "attack" had occured was an empty shrimp exoskeleton. The small shrimp were obviously helping the big shrimp to remove its old skin - how cool is that?!!
That is _very_ cool. I love my shrimp, they are really fun to watch. My biggest one is getting a bit creepy...all those legs reminds me of spiders. While I was pruning yesterday one of the shrimps swam towards my hand and I completely freaked out!! Normally they stay away but they seem to be getting braver :S

WOW i just realised the amount of hits or views on this thread over 7000, thats a lot of views.

Nice shot as well gf, youll soon be going for the retirement type tank, 1 WPG :D

zig said:
youll soon be going for the retirement type tank, 1 WPG :D
[snapback]858393[/snapback]​
:lol: Funny you should mention that. I'm away for two weeks soon so I may actually run 1 WPG to avoid having to get my neighbour to dose as frequently (if at all).

gf225 said:
zig said:
youll soon be going for the retirement type tank, 1 WPG :D
[snapback]858393[/snapback]​
:lol: Funny you should mention that. I'm away for two weeks soon so I may actually run 1 WPG to avoid having to get my neighbour to dose as frequently (if at all).
[snapback]858404[/snapback]​

I would say it would definatly work for The KNO3 and PO4 if you had a good levels in the tank when you left, i wonder though how long the micros would last, i wonder would they stretch for 2 weeks, just something i was thinking about, i guess this is where the auto doser would be a guarentee that you would have no problems when you came back, but i suppose at 1 WPG you would probably get away with that as well, i was thinking about it for the article on EI, as we all have to go away at some stage or another.

zig said:
i wonder though how long the micros would last, i wonder would they stretch for 2 weeks
[snapback]858421[/snapback]​
I'm confident they'll last. The Dennerle "system" of fertilisation relies on dosing micros only twice a month anyway. Before switching to EI I ran the Dennerle system with hardly any problems at 3 WPG, the only problem was low NO3 and PO4 but as you say I'll dose these well before I go.

N1 m8 let us know how easy the set up is(still trying to do get it on the cheap here -read free lol)
think my mrs would freak if i splashed out on that at the mo.

good news mate, why dont you do a small "set up thread" when it arrives. i'm sure many like me are wondering if it's a major job or plug and play.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back