George's Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hey that was quick, 7 o clock bored with the look, 1 o clock rip it out and hey presto , new look.

Java looks amazing, i know its simple at the moment but i much prefer it, looks really good, id say it looks excellent in reality with the black background and substrate.

I know what you mean about the messy look, since i posted those pictures a little while ago of my own tank, its becomeing a proper jungle in there, the fast growing stem plants are living up to their reputation and need some serious attention, eventually ill replace them for slower growers, to much work involved, my carpeting Lilaoepsis brasiliensis is beginning to make an impact on the foreground, but id say it will still be about 2 weeks before it fully covers the foreground, so it really grows slowly.

Just a quick question im looking for a trace fertiliser with low iron content, now i havent done much looking into this, i thought you might know off the top of your head.

zig said:
Hey that was quick, 7 o clock bored with the look, 1 o clock rip it out and hey presto , new look.
[snapback]847326[/snapback]​
What can I say, sometimes I can be patient, other times I need immediate gratification. :p

Thanks anyway for the comments. I'm surprised at how much I like the new look - it's probably the closest layout I've had to a nature style layout. The fern is an excellent base on which to build.

It sounds corny but it looks so much more stunning in the flesh (as is everyone's no doubt), the green of the plants combined with the vivid reds and blues of the tetras on the black background looks great.

Low iron fert - try Waterlife Tropiflora. Don't think it has much iron content. Also Kent Botanica Grow (or "Micro" might be better) sounds good, Jimbooo uses it I think. http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z381232.asp

Thanks for that, ill give those a go.......

abstract said:
great contrast..what will be growing in on the right?
[snapback]848160[/snapback]​
Nothing new for a while. I'll probably let the Sag cover the entire substrate - should look good. I'm still thinking on final plans.

looking simple but impacting - i like it :)

i dont think anyone's asked you before, i was wondering whats the white dots on the gravel? are they white stones?

Sime said:
looking simple but impacting - i like it :)

i dont think anyone's asked you before, i was wondering whats the white dots on the gravel? are they white stones?
[snapback]848350[/snapback]​
They're bits of the Dennerle Deponit substrate that have been pulled up from when I removed the Hygros. I'm thinking of burying the bits again to give a pure black.

Looking good. This could easily turn into one of your best layouts. Lots of potential with the sag and everything. Although I'm concerned that there might be a hightened susceptibility to algae becuase there doesn't seem to be alot of plant biomass in there right now. I mean, one of the first things you say in your Algae: Prevention and Control thread is to have alot of biomass (fast growing stem plants and such).

Nospherith said:
Looking good. This could easily turn into one of your best layouts. Lots of potential with the sag and everything. Although I'm concerned that there might be a hightened susceptibility to algae becuase there doesn't seem to be alot of plant biomass in there right now. I mean, one of the first things you say in your Algae: Prevention and Control thread is to have alot of biomass (fast growing plants and such). Have you changed your dosing/lighting?
[snapback]848377[/snapback]​
Last post on page 15 my good friend.

In summary - I've reduced lighting from 3.6 to 2 WPG, dosing macros has halved - I'm testing NO3 and PO4 daily to ensure levels remain ideal. Micros are remaining constant.

I think you may be right about there being lots of potential. The Java fern I feel is the biggest asset to the layout - a really strong focal point. I'm toying with the idea of literally just the Java fern, a carpet and the Crinum on the right which will hopefully (eventually) obscure my internal filter. If the Sag looks good as a complete carpet i.e. covering remaining substrate then I may gradually replace it with Glosso or (and I'm quite excited about this little plant....) Hemianthus callitrichoides. I've seen some stunning results with this as a carpeting plant.

At long last I may finally have what I can honestly call a nature aquarium.

It would be nice to see how glosso grows in your tank. Have you considered cryptocorynes at all? Perhaps in front of and to the left of the java fern? I think it might add an extra dimension to the sortof island that you're creating with the fern.

Nospherith said:
It would be nice to see how glosso grows in your tank. Have you considered cryptocorynes at all? Perhaps in front of and to the left of the java fern? I think it might add an extra dimension to the sortof island that you're creating with the fern.
[snapback]848397[/snapback]​
I've always liked Glosso, I'll have to increase lighting though. I like the Crypt idea too - time will tell.

Also Kent Botanica Grow (or "Micro" might be better) sounds good, Jimbooo uses it I think. http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z381232.asp

yep spot on. i use "Grow" and "FE" (funnily enough because "Grow" has little iron in it)

love the crinium gf225, i'll watch that with interest i was under the impression that it needed very high lighting to flourish... i'm sure it's in good hands

jimbooo said:
Also Kent Botanica Grow (or "Micro" might be better) sounds good, Jimbooo uses it I think. http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z381232.asp

yep spot on. i use "Grow" and "FE" (funnily enough because "Grow" has little iron in it)

love the crinium gf225, i'll watch that with interest i was under the impression that it needed very high lighting to flourish... i'm sure it's in good hands
[snapback]848871[/snapback]​

Thanks. The calamistratum does require more light than most Crinums but is still known to thrive in medium light. It's survived so far being well-shaded by my Hygros for a couple of months so I'm sure it'll do well - in fact I've observed new growth already. IME one can grow plants with less than "perfect" light if other parameters are ideal i.e. CO2 and other nutrients.

I’ve had an interesting day today. Let me start with an introduction – it will make sense later hopefully. Don’t even start to read this if you get bored easily!

I started this hobby just over two years ago (March 2003) when I bought my first tank – a Juwel Rio 125. I had no idea about fishkeeping, let alone growing plants. What I did know was that I loved Discus after seeing some in my LFS – The Waterzoo, Peterborough and Maidenhead Aquatics, Crowland. So I researched them and found that they were one of the most challenging of fish to keep, not ideal for the novice i.e. me. Anyway I still researched more on them as I found them interesting, I actually learnt quite a lot but decided to keep smaller, hardier fish instead. My tap water was hard and the tank volume only suitable of a pair of Discus really.

Anyway, time went on and I was happy with my little fish and eventually got myself a breeding pair of Angelfish. I started really getting into the planted scene and my interest took more of an obsessive turn. The rest most of you know, new layout after new layout, upgrading lighting constantly, new fertilising regimes, becoming a mod on here etc.

So I have finally a layout that I am near content with – the first time I can honestly say that. It is simple, pretty and low-maintenance. If and when I decide to add/change plants these principles will remain – simple, pretty, low-maintenance.

OK, still with me? I went to The Waterzoo this morning with the intention of buying some frozen bloodworm. Off I popped, wondered in and did my usual thing of chatting to the staff and browsing their plant stock – all of which were unsuitable for me. Nevermind, I turned my attention to the fish, as always checking out the softwater tanks first (my tank is softwater now, RO and tap), saw some lovely Blue Rams, some Apistos too which were tempting but as I already have Rams – out of the question. Then I saw something I will never forget – the most colourful, active, perfectly formed (for a juvenile anyway) Marlboro Red Discus. I don’t want to sound over dramatic (“too late” I hear) but I had to have that fish. There were three in the holding tank but this was by far the most dominant and active. I talked with the staff about the possibility of keeping it alone as I didn’t have the cash for a pair – besides the other two were less than perfect – something you don’t buy in my opinion where Discus are concerned. It’s not ideal (Discus are a shoaling species) but ok to keep Discus single (I have asked this question on another “source of information” dedicated to Discus but haven’t received a reply. I interpret this as “it can’t be a big problem”. We digress – the staff agreed that it should be fine single, my water chemistry was ideal (very similar to theirs), I only had to increase my temp. from 27 to 28C. My tank is vastly over-filtered Juwel internal and Fluval 204 external (designed for 200 litre tank), water quality never an issue either with 50% weekly water changes. So after some closer examination of the fish and seeing it feed I bought the little bugger (4 inch juvenile) - £28.50 also bought some more bloodworm and Diskusin (excellent Discus dry food). The sales chap double bagged, stress-coated and polystyrene boxed it and I drove home very smoothly with a big smile!

So I am now a proud Discus owner – I feel honoured and privileged to be able to own the most wonderful freshwater fish there is (IMO).

I have named him Digweed! (after one of my favourite Progressive House DJs) – I never normally name fish but he is more than a fish to me – Digweed is a representation of my level of fishkeeping.

Anyway I acclimatised Digweed for one hour only as the water chemistry was near identical to The Waterzoo. I believe keeping him in the bag longer than necessary is probably more stressful. After letting Digweed swim free he immediately swam to the bottom left corner behind my Java fern. Nevermind, I thought – natural for a Discus to do this, they are notoriously hard to get active after re-housing, sometimes can take up to 6 weeks of “sulking” to feed again. So I thought I was in for the long haul of patiently waiting. I made tea (dinner) and popped my head around to see how Digweed was doing –still there, no movement but still breathing! Had my tea by which time the tank lights had clicked on – and there he was swimming boldly around the tank, herding the Cardinals and seeing off the Rams!! Awesome sight. 2 hours after de-bagging Digweed was ruling the tank. I fed him some bloodworm which he eat out of my hand. I love this fish! Importantly too, he suits my new layout – plenty of swimming space and open substrate to graze upon.

You want to see him I hope?

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=101037

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back