George's Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Looks good!

You inpired me with your enthusiasm for ADA when i started, how come you not using most of their products?
lol, i think its nice to see someone not on the ADA band waggon as i feel i am. I am totally disappointed with the AS and feel my old gravel and tetra aqua compost provided a much more suitable substrate for my needs. However pollen glass and lily pipe are top draw!

Chris

Thanks guys.

Chris - It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the ADA range and ethos, even though I still have no personal experience.

Ideally I'd like to use more than just their substrate but I can't justify the expense on my Juwel Rio 125. Another factor is that this tank will be used in step-by-step articles in Practical Fishkeeping magazine and so by using "bread and butter" equipment it should provide more accessibility to the readership.

When the time comes I will set up my "dream" larger tank with full ADA spec and MH. But we're talking some time - and then there's the wife who's just fell in love with some stunning reef tanks in Jeff and Mike Senke's "The Inspired Aquarium", so who knows what the future holds!?

If the articles are to be featuring your tank, can't you ask if the PFK magazine will subsidise the cost of the ADA products? Or speak to ADA itself, see if they can give you the products for free to promote them?

and then there's the wife who's just fell in love with some stunning reef tanks in Jeff and Mike Senke's "The Inspired Aquarium", so who knows what the future holds!?
Tell her if she wants one then she'll have to pay for it, then you can use it as an excuse to get the stuff you want for your tanks :shifty: :lol: it'll always be cheaper than the reef tank!

Can I ask how you have secured the Co2 hose into the Eheim tubing? I would guess it is just tightly forced in and sealed?

Any worries of water pressure pushing the tubing out, that would be my only worry with something like that.

Just out of interest George, are you expecting any build up of co2 in the filter? What you going to do to stop it if anything? What about the fact that the filter and tubing are not CO2 proof?

Sam

Update time again. No major news except my wood and rocks have turned up safe and sound. I was very happy to see my box still sealed as I had left it! Hopefully I'll be able to post some photos of the rocks and stones.

Can I ask how you have secured the Co2 hose into the Eheim tubing? I would guess it is just tightly forced in and sealed?

Any worries of water pressure pushing the tubing out, that would be my only worry with something like that.

I used the nozzle/connector from the end of an old Nutrafin yeast-based CO2 system. I simply drilled a 6mm hole into the Eheim tubing and sealed the connector in place with silicone. The CO2 hose can be removed if required with the connector remaining in place so cleaning should be simple.

I'm not worried about the hose becoming detached but I guess we'll see. It's a tight fit.

Just out of interest George, are you expecting any build up of co2 in the filter? What you going to do to stop it if anything? What about the fact that the filter and tubing are not CO2 proof?

Sam
I'm not expecting much build-up, if any. I ran my Fluval 204 in a similar fashion with no problems. Smaller bubble size via an airstone or similar could help prevent build up, obviously an airstone would be too big to fit inside the filter hose though.

I don't think the filter and tubing need to be CO2 proof. If there's any loss it will be negligible.

after reading this topic, i was inspired and obtained some good advice as well...im glad to hear all is going well with the starting of your new setup....hope all goes well in the future....
I cant wait till more pics are posted on your progress...cyaz.

At last I have rock photos for you. Please excuse the orange colour rendition, it looked worse with my flash so I've had to rely on my room lighting. One more reason to get a new camera with manual white balance!

First my bigger rocks. They are a very light grey colour and quite "chunky". They don't seem to contain any lime as I've tested with sulphuric acid. I'm not too sure if/where I'll use these. The wood will be the dominating hardscape feature.

And my slate-like rocks. Flatter and smaller. I'll probably use these to tie on moss for my low maintenance foreground.

Oh, nearly forgot. I have freedom over fish choice! Originally I let my wife help choose but we couldn't agree. She wanted just Angelfish but I think 33G is too small for them long-term, plus they make the tank look small.

So we'll see how the scape develops before I choose. I'm currently thinking low-maintenace. My 4 weeks at home have made me realise just how busy I am without a tank to look after so lots of fast growing, high maintenance stems are off the menu.

Current thoughts - moss foreground. I love narrow var. Java fern so plenty of that attached to the wood, Cyperus helferi in the background and tall crypts at the sides. Maybe some Blyxa japonica in the mid-ground? I've always liked this plant. Possibly a dash of red with some Rotala or Ludwigia sp.

There's no rush.

Possibly a dash of red with some Rotala or Ludwigia sp.

How much red are you thinking about, George?

Can I suggest Alternantera reineckii? It is nothing short of stunning and it's proving to be quite the plant in my 1.4WPG 20g. I add CO2, so I'm not sure if that's helping matters, but it looks great and I can't endorse it enough. Tough as nails, trims neatly without much leaf litter, and it grows a bit slower than the average stem plant. Might not be the right plant for you, however, as it tends to become the focal point because of it's strong red color.

Great looking rocks and driftwood by the way. Can't wait to see this tank setup!

Warmest,

llj :)

How much red are you thinking about, George?

Can I suggest Alternantera reineckii?
Thanks for the feedback llj.

I've grown A. reineckii previously and you are right, it is stunning and easier than some may expect. However, I'm going for a smaller, finer leaf shape as this makes the tank appear larger, which I like.

Did George farmer get banned or something on here? damn that's cold

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back