GeoGuessr

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but I want to ask - does anyone else play it?

GeoGuessr is a game based off of google street view. It spawns you anywhere in the world that is registered as google street view. Over 80 countries and many overseas territories use cars for google street view, but there are also 'trekkers', or people who are payed to take a couple pictures in certain places. Every single country has at least one picture. There are more than 1 million possible locations.

I originally started playing geoguessr at the beginning of the summer, as I am taking an advanced geography class, and thought it would be fun to know different countries' geography.

I have gotten very good over the past summer. I know tons of tell-tell things in different countries. Mainland Malaysia has a black sticker on every telephone pole, for example.

I highly recommend this game. You can play it free for 7 days, and then it is 2.99 a month, which is very very reasonable. I play every day. Does anyone else?

I think we've found a person who can get into biogeography. For those who haven't looked into it, it's the study of what species distribution can tell us about our world.
It's all part of trying to understand evolution, geology and current geography. I've oversimplified, but it can make a geography minded person see this hobby of ours in a depth you might find surprising. It's a great game to play, for amateurs like me.

I think we've found a person who can get into biogeography. For those who haven't looked into it, it's the study of what species distribution can tell us about our world.
It's all part of trying to understand evolution, geology and current geography. I've oversimplified, but it can make a geography minded person see this hobby of ours in a depth you might find surprising. It's a great game to play, for amateurs like me.
That is super interesting. I’ll have to look into that. Do you play?

Have you played?

I play at biogeography with my killies and with Cichlids.

Geoguessr, no. I never get around to playing games, even when they look like fun.

I've been playing a lot and have started to enter tournaments (they're free to enter). Very fun times all around, and I've been to the finals 3 times out of the 5 times I've been in them (weekly tourneys). I haven't yet won, been very close. if I do win 40 bucks to split between 1-3 teammates depending on the tournament style :)

Here's a geo question for you.
Look up a fish named Satanoperca daemon. Then look up Tylochromios lateralis. What do they tell you about geography?

I need to venture across all of America before I start worrying about the rest of this crazy world we live in today.

The first thing every person should do is go outside of their own country, and visit as many different countries as they can. Then they can look at their own little world with a more critical eye - a skill every citizen of everywhere should have.

The first thing every person should do is go outside of their own country, and visit as many different countries as they can. Then they can look at their own little world with a more critical eye - a skill every citizen of everywhere should have.
I've been to many places outside of the United States...and I'm happy every time I get back home that I live where I do.

It's good to like where you live - I'm also pleased at where I am.

But I still get the urge to see very different places. You've had the benefits of "free" travel (not for a job or in a military), and I doubt you'd deny its usefulness. I've traveled in the US, Central America and Europe, as much as I could, and know Africa, Asia and other places are still to be seen. There are places in Europe I could see myself living in, but my little Canadian house by the sea in Canada is pretty cool as a base.

I have read a few younger members on forums who seem terrified of leaving the USA to see the world, and I think that's a big loss for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back