FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xipo817

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am confused about genetics of betta.
I have two strain of alien bettas.
Cobalt blue and copper.
When I bred cobalt blue strain I gained cobalt green and cobalt blue and steel blue type.
This is usual incomplete dominant heredity like guppy's asian blau(Am I right?).
As this cobalt blue strain have some deformed head(I don't like too big lip) I want to use the copper strain (with no deformed head) to modify the strain.
I heard that copper is steel blue(bl bl) with homo metallic(Me Me).
How about cobalt blue?
I know this fish has hetero blue gene (Bl bl), but I don't know about metallic gene.
Does this cobalt blue alien have metallic gene?
DSCN5227 (2).JPG

cobalt blue alien male

DSCN5521.JPG

copper alien male

In upper link I found this

Without the + gene, the copper betta fish were simply a steel blue color, the blue/green (“teal”) betta was royal blue, and the dark metallic green betta was turquoise.

(+ means metallic in this sentence I think)

So the question can be simplified to whether the cobalt blue fish is a teal fish or a royal blue fish.
What do you think?

Found this, maybe helpful?

From the Betta Splendens Complex.

Sometimes referred to as Royal Blue, this has a beautiful coloration of Deep blue throughout the body. Aliens are a hybridization of different types of wild bettas and are considered a type of wild hybrid. Traits of "Alien" include full facial mask, spread iridescence that cover the fins and the body as well as webbing on the caudal fins.

Blue is the result of having a Homozygous metallic gene over Heterozygous iridescence (Royal blue). Like "grey" they do not change color depending on the angle of light. The important thing to note, because they are heterozygous they do not breed true, thus the breeder will have a stock of turquoise, steel blue, and Royal blue Mon-metallic offsprings.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back