General Plant Questions...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m almost at the end of the planning stage of a low tech/Walstad style tank. (24 x 12 x 12 inches)

I have a list of plants that I want but I’m struggling to work out how many I will need as they seem to be sold in various ways.

The Tropica website has many planting layouts with the lists of what is in the tank, and I think from looking at those I’m going to need 12-15 plants. Is that 12-15 x5cm pots, 12-15 x bundles...?

What are your store recommendations for online plant buying in the UK? And finally, sorry, I’m hoping to have shrimp at some point - how do I know if plants are safe for shrimps, as I have seen some plants labelled ‘shrimp safe’?

Thank you in advance...

I'm really impatient so I just bought as much as I could afford at the time! But you separate each pot etc and plant them in bits, stems grow really quick and you just replant the trimmings to propagate.

Most plants are grown above water and are treated with pesticides or whatever, so the 'shrimp safe' reference is to plants that haven't got chemicals on them that will harm your shrimp... I think!

I like buying here, great quality and delivered quickly...

What are your store recommendations for online plant buying in the UK? And finally, sorry, I’m hoping to have shrimp at some point - how do I know if plants are safe for shrimps, as I have seen some plants labelled ‘shrimp safe’?
If the seller doesn't say shrimp safe, don't risk it.

I have bought shrimps safe plants from k2aqua on eBay and Pro Shrimp

There is another site which sells shrimp safe plants but I have not bought from them yet

Any plant grown in vitro is shrimp safe, as are plants grown by these companies - Tropica, Dennerle and Aquafleur as they are all in Europe.

This UK site also sells some shrimp safe aquarium plants

Another question.... The Walstad Method lists specific plants, some of which I’m struggling to find the exact match for. Can I make the assumption that one, full and feathery type plant will absorb the ammonia/nitrates as much as the next? Or do different plants have differing requirement? (I’m thinking of matching leaf shape/size).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back