General Cure And Ick Gaurd Not Working Fish Are Now Covered And Dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

[email protected]

Reaction score
frustrating.... i while back (2weeks?) made a poste and my problem was identified as ick. yippy now i can treat.....lol not that easy apparently. lfs said salt and general cure. so i got me some salt and general cure. added salt and gcafter 48 houors water change ... next day no change repeted does turned heat to 30c. 48hrs later fish were more active looking better(not completely gone just better than they were). lfs said don't do a third time let sit for a week with daily 25% h2o changes.. so i did by the end of the week ick was back in full force. grrr phoned a different fish store they said gc wasn't strong enough i needed ick guard. so i go get it and follow instructions ran 1sttime no change repeted. got home today and fish are dying and i got swimming salt block. looks gross.

30 gal tank
3 small angles
two serpies

nh3=0 mg/l
no2=<0.3 mg/l
ph=7.5

frustrating.... i while back (2weeks?) made a poste and my problem was identified as ick. yippy now i can treat.....lol not that easy apparently. lfs said salt and general cure. so i got me some salt and general cure. added salt and gcafter 48 houors water change ... next day no change repeted does turned heat to 30c. 48hrs later fish were more active looking better(not completely gone just better than they were). lfs said don't do a third time let sit for a week with daily 25% h2o changes.. so i did by the end of the week ick was back in full force. grrr phoned a different fish store they said gc wasn't strong enough i needed ick guard. so i go get it and follow instructions ran 1sttime no change repeted. got home today and fish are dying and i got swimming salt block. looks gross.

30 gal tank
3 small angles
two serpies

nh3=0 mg/l
no2=<0.3 mg/l
ph=7.5
well few hrs from first post a serpie died and one of the angels i gaive it a couple hrs to live..... 2 angels left 1 serpie...... when the other fish die do i wash tank, gravel, plants,ect. with bleach? should i throw out the live plant? will it transfer with these fish have to new ones?

I used this stuff and it worked very well. Not one of my fish died.

<a href="http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=63" target="_blank">http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=63</a>
Super Ick Cure by API

General cure doesn't seem to say it will treat ich?

Is the serpie a serpae tetra? I think those tend to nip at long finned fish, aka angels. Might be stress on the fish causing ich. Three angels aren't a good choice as two most likely pair off and kill the third if left together. And if the serpae's are fin nipping, it adds more stress.

I used this stuff and it worked very well. Not one of my fish died.

[URL="http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=63"]http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=63[/URL]
Super Ick Cure by API

General cure doesn't seem to say it will treat ich?

Is the serpie a serpae tetra? I think those tend to nip at long finned fish, aka angels. Might be stress on the fish causing ich. Three angels aren't a good choice as two most likely pair off and kill the third. And if the serpae's are fin nipping, it adds more stress.
ok i will try that med...
would be nice if lfs would give me proper information.....
they told me this combo would be good....lol shame on me ....
thanks for your input

Usually if the ich doesn't have a host to live off of it will die. Not sure in how many days though. Ich can only be treated in the free swimming stage so it may take a week or two to get them all. If you do decide to dump everything IF they die (we are hoping not right?) you will have to recycle your tank again unless you can find an aged filter media (basically a used filter cartridge that has the good bacteria on it)

You can read this
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=128879"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=128879[/URL]

and this
[URL="http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php"]http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php[/URL]

For more information :)

Some fish stores just want people to buy things and hope they come back. The other day I was at PetSmart and I saw a woman carrying a 5 gallon tank with a bag of fish in it. Hopefully the fish was for another tank but knowing them.. probably not. Goodluck with your fish. I am not an expert but I am just sharing what I've learned and read.

Usually if the ich doesn't have a host to live off of it will die. Not sure in how many days though. Ich can only be treated in the free swimming stage so it may take a week or two to get them all. If you do decide to dump everything IF they die (we are hoping not right?) you will have to recycle your tank again unless you can find an aged filter media (basically a used filter cartridge that has the good bacteria on it)

You can read this
<a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=128879" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=128879</a>

and this
<a href="http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php" target="_blank">http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php</a>

For more information :)

Some fish stores just want people to buy things and hope they come back. The other day I was at PetSmart and I saw a woman carrying a 5 gallon tank with a bag of fish in it. Hopefully the fish was for another tank but knowing them.. probably not. Goodluck with your fish. I am not an expert but I am just sharing what I've learned and read.
thank-you for your input.
lol one of the lfs i talked to was petsmart...lol
as for good bacteria i have three other tanks i can cycle with.
and i hope they don't die i have come fond to the angels.. i got them for my wife.
once again thanx

My boyfriend and I have both had ick recently. We both used the jungle ick treatment. One used liquid, one used the powder. Highly recommend the powder. Liquid turned his water blue for the longest time and turned his ornaments blue where they were once white. Both worked great though and not pricy.

My boyfriend and I have both had ick recently. We both used the jungle ick treatment. One used liquid, one used the powder. Highly recommend the powder. Liquid turned his water blue for the longest time and turned his ornaments blue where they were once white. Both worked great though and not pricy.
yes it is ick guard from jungle that i am using.

woke up the other serpie is dead.... down to three angels...
at this point it looks like i will be starting over

so sorry to hear that. I've lost 2 tanks myself full of fish and I know how frustrating it can be to figure out what went wrong. Best of luck.

so sorry to hear that. I've lost 2 tanks myself full of fish and I know how frustrating it can be to figure out what went wrong. Best of luck.
thank-you for your post.... the last serpie died and an angel died..... down to 2 angels left............
the pattern i see is every time i put new ick guard dose in fish die... grrrrr.
should i continue trying to help... or would it be better to terminate the last 2?

thank-you for your post.... the last serpie died and an angel died..... down to 2 angels left............
should i continue trying to help... or would it be better to terminate the last 2?

I never give up trying, as long as the fish isn't suffering. Hard to tell if it is suffering, but I almost flushed a dwarf gourami 3X It looked completely dead, and the first time, I was running late and had to go, so I left it to dispose of later. Returning home several hours later, he was still alive and swimming around.

Had the same incident with a male betta. Thought it was dead or very near to being dead. Kept up with meds (finrot) He looked terrible and has suffered issues since, but he is alive and dances in his bowl when you talk to him. He practically jumps out of the bowl for shrimp or blood worms.

In the end, it is your call. I would really hate to know that I put my fish through painful and long deaths. I am a big believer in euthanasia to stop an animals suffering. I also don't like to throw the towel in and give up as long as the animal keeps fighting. Fish just don't have the same characteristics as dogs and cats though, so hard to know exactly how they are feeling. The fact that they are using the water to breath, who knows. (I'm really no help here am I) What ever you do, will be the right thing for you.

About the amount of the dosage, are you allowing for the water displacement of any ornaments and gravel you have in the tank. Someone on the forum told us about this. Even though you tank is 30 gallons, after you add ornaments and gravel, you are raising the water level, therefore not actually putting in 30 gallons of water. Try adding a little less of the medication was the advice we were given.

Hope things turn out well for you

I never give up trying, as long as the fish isn't suffering. Hard to tell if it is suffering, but I almost flushed a dwarf gourami 3X It looked completely dead, and the first time, I was running late and had to go, so I left it to dispose of later. Returning home several hours later, he was still alive and swimming around.

Had the same incident with a male betta. Thought it was dead or very near to being dead. Kept up with meds (finrot) He looked terrible and has suffered issues since, but he is alive and dances in his bowl when you talk to him. He practically jumps out of the bowl for shrimp or blood worms.

In the end, it is your call. I would really hate to know that I put my fish through painful and long deaths. I am a big believer in euthanasia to stop an animals suffering. I also don't like to throw the towel in and give up as long as the animal keeps fighting. Fish just don't have the same characteristics as dogs and cats though, so hard to know exactly how they are feeling. The fact that they are using the water to breath, who knows. (I'm really no help here am I) What ever you do, will be the right thing for you.

About the amount of the dosage, are you allowing for the water displacement of any ornaments and gravel you have in the tank. Someone on the forum told us about this. Even though you tank is 30 gallons, after you add ornaments and gravel, you are raising the water level, therefore not actually putting in 30 gallons of water. Try adding a little less of the medication was the advice we were given.

Hope things turn out well for you
yes i read that thread aswell... took out all plant and such and messured from top of gravel to water line... dosed accodingly..
thanks for the reply..

nothing against what you beleive in but have you seen an animal get euthinized? my sister was a vet befor she was hit by a car while treating an elk on the side of a road. i think it is not as human as people think. euthanol is a resticted substance and the goverment only alows so much by weight. i have seen deaths take up to 20 min. and very violent .(foaming at the mouth, massive seizures. i saw one animal while seizing broke own neck.

Yes, it can be long and terrible. My cat went very fast. My dog, the first dose wasn't enough, and after 15 min, they had to give another dose. I sat on the floor with her bawling my eyes out. I could never do what your sister did. My hat off to her for being able to do something like that for the animals. I get too attached and therefore not able to act with a clear head. That is something I find admirable.

I know my lfs (small private owned store) will take in sick fish and treat them for you. Anything like that where you are? Maybe they can give a hand in treating the fish.

hope u and your boyfriend are getting better now! :shifty:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back