Gender of my Bolivian ram

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samoyed123

Reaction score
I got a Bolivian ram for my tank and I am not sure what it’s gender is. I have feeling that it’s a male but I just want to make sure :)
8ED09A3E-A955-4D98-A106-BDBCBA7B8875.jpeg

I would suggest it is a male, but it is not always easy if you cannot see the ovipositor (breeding tube). I'll add a photo taken from the internet of a pair, the male is above and the female below...you'll see how similar they are.

You didn't ask this, but while I'm here I will just mention that if you have a solitary male he will be fine in the tank with other (suitable) fish species. But do not add a second Bolivian, male or female; this fish must select its mate and bond, or the intruder will be soon dead.

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg

Byron's right - they can be very hard to sex unless breeding.

When sexing Bolivian's, I look for two things:
1. Any color at all on the belly - I have seen female Bolivian's with slight amount of pink/yellow on the belly (in the pic above, very slight tinge of pinkish yellow past her gills; I've seen some with a lot of color though uncommon)
2. Finnage (shortened in females).

Based on your image I would save 90% chance of it being a male.

Last edited:
Bolivian ram females don't have any more colour than males. Years ago I had a pair of Bolivian rams and I know I had a male and female as they laid eggs which hatched. The female was the same colour as the male.

Bolivian ram females don't have any more colour than males. Years ago I had a pair of Bolivian rams and I know I had a male and female as they laid eggs which hatched. The female was the same colour as the male.

Interesting. I kept some short term once and have seen quite a few at the LFS that have shown the slightest tinge of pink on the stomach. Likely to be a hybrid? The female in the photo above appears to me (maybe it's my screen) to have more of a yellowy/pink color.

I agree, most definitely a male. It's German blue rams that can be sexed by the pink tinge to their bellies, not Bolivians. Just a glance at the analfin, pelvic, the end of the dorsal and the caudal fin will show this is a male. Though many females will also get extensions on the trailers of the caudal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back