Gbr First Spawn

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ReddSamurai

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI, im a complete novice when it comes to breeding but i thought id give it a go with my GBRs.
basically they have been in a community tank and about 5 days ago i put them in their own tank with some cardinals.

I was about to head to bed yesterday night and noticed this
biggrin.png

nysk9l.jpg

so im just asking for any tips or advice
do i just leave them to it?
how do i know if they have fertilized or not?

am i right in saying they hatch in 2/3 days and free swimming in 5/6 days?

im aware as its the first time they have spawned the chances of any surviving are almost nil...is it?

Congrats on the spawning, they are a nice pair. Eggs will turn white if not viable. You are correct in all that you said above. Having them in their own tank with some cardinals as dither fish is ideal.
I used to have a pair of these that spawned but the male became very aggressive to female and I never got any free swimming fry out of them. Hopefully your pair are better suited to one another. Best of luck 

blue acara said:
Congrats on the spawning, they are a nice pair. Eggs will turn white if not viable. You are correct in all that you said above. Having them in their own tank with some cardinals as dither fish is ideal.
I used to have a pair of these that spawned but the male became very aggressive to female and I never got any free swimming fry out of them. Hopefully your pair are better suited to one another. Best of luck 
thanks, i was told to take the cardinals out as the rams may feel threatened and eat the fry? is that true?

unfortunately i dont think any survived, but i wasnt expecting any to as its the first time.

I don't agree with that. Rams wouldn't feel threatened by Cardinals, I'd say the Cardinals could be beneficial as it gives the parents something to do i.e. protect the fry. Having said that having the tank to themselves means there is no risk of fry predation. It's your call either way should work out.

Next time they will do better mate.   
ReddSam said:
thanks, i was told to take the cardinals out as the rams may feel threatened and eat the fry? is that true?

unfortunately i dont think any survived, but i wasnt expecting any to as its the first time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back