Gardneri Spawning Trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rex740

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a pair of Gardneri in my 48 gallon and I had put in a floating spawning mop a week ago. I checked after a week and there are no eggs on it. When I first got the pair months ago they were breeding non stop for a few days (Didn't have mop that time) then stopped. I do not see them actively breed anymore. Is the tank too big for them to get the eggs on the mop? I put the mop back in but took out the floating cork so it sinks now.

A couple of things may come into play here.
48 gallons is a mighty big tank to keep two fish in close proximity if you wish to breed.
I advise a smaller tank around 4-5 gall purely for breeding and non permanent. Buy yourself a little 12x8x8 for this purpose.
Secondly the water conditions may not just suit
Check out my thread
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=280786
I hope that helped
Regards
C

I did have a working 3 gallon prepared for the breeding but right before I started breeding I got a free pair of Nothbranchius Korthausae that are now in it.

Sinking the mop helped. It managed to collect a few scattered eggs for the week it was in there. I collected 7 total eggs, my first eggs ever. Putting the mop in again for another week. I put the eggs in some boiled peat moss in a little bag and sealed it closed, is that ok?

I put the eggs in some boiled peat moss in a little bag and sealed it closed, is that ok?
You can do this but seeing as Gardneri sp and spp. are non annual killifish then there is no real necessity.
You can just water incubate the eggs in a small marg tub with a bout 40mm of water floated in a tank. Make sure the tank with the parents is still covered though.
Regards
C

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back