Gang, Please Quarantine New Fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Agree. I've learned the hard way as well. I've had two major ich outbreaks due to not quarantining, and I hope I never have any more. Both times were from introducing new rummy nose tetras. The first time, I got some delivered and put them straight into the tank. The same day, I noticed that they were all covered with ich, but I didn't have a qt tank, so I just got meds and treated the tank. I lost most of the rummy's, and all of my fish got it, except for my breeding pair of discus, amazingly. Then last year, I got some more rummy's from my lfs, and they looked fine so I though it will be okay this one time... Well, nope, and they got ich and spread it to everyone in the tank. This one was even more stressful because it was like a tera massacre and they were dying by the hour, and I lost the beautiful female from a breeding pair of angel fish, which was seriously a horrible death to watch. She seemed like maybe she was going to start pulling through but over the course of a day, she lost all colour and started whirling around the tank, upside-down in the current until she died. Bottom line is a now have a smaller qt tank, and keep the filter cartridge in my external.

Same for me : I learned (should I say learnt?) from my mistakes...

I understand. Weā€™re so excited to get our new fish home and in the community tank. So we put them in. Stop! Big mistake!!! I canā€™t tell you how many posts we get from members who are trying to save their beloved fish because a new fish brought a disease into the tank. Iā€™ve been there. Last year I did quarantine some new neons for 5 days. One had a tiny spot on his tail and I decided it wasnā€™t ich and placed them in the community tank. Soon over 50 neons were covered with the worst case of ich I had ever dealt with. Took over a month to clear the ich and lost several tetras and a Cory as a result. After cycling a tank, quarantining new fish is the single most important thing you can do for your fish. Iā€™ve heard all the excuses there are for why a person didnā€™t quarantine. None of them made sense. If you donā€™t have a QT tank, then donā€™t buy the fish. Get a cheap plastic food safe container, a small cheap heater, and a cheap sponge filter to keep on hand for quarantines. Keep some extra sponge in the back of your main filter and just pop them in the quarantine filter when needed. It will give you a cycled tank pretty quickly. You may say, ā€œI never quarantine and Iā€™ve never had a problem.ā€ I tell you, your time will come. So please, please quarantine all new fish for at least 2 weeks. It will save a lot of heartache and expense down the line. :fish::thanks::fish:
Yeppp ? Just learned the hard way through a clown loach casuality from ICH... Definitely need to get my hands on a set up soon.

Especially as we don't need big gear : personnaly I use a tupperware, a sponge filter, a floating plant, then I put all that in the tank like a "bain-marie". Doing this, quarantine tupperware doesn't need its own light and heat ;)

Especially as we don't need big gear : personnaly I use a tupperware, a sponge filter, a floating plant, then I put all that in the tank like a "bain-marie". Doing this, quarantine tupperware doesn't need its own light and heat ;)
How big of a tupperware pot do you use? And do you put any substrate or rocks in this pot or just leave it bare?

@PlasticGalaxy well tupperware is proportionate to the tank, since you cannot put "big" fishes in a 60 liters tank ;)
No substrate. The first week 25% water change every 2 days to avoid ammonia, the following week also 25% water change but using water tank insteau of spring water (Volvic).
No rocks except if you want your tank sinks :whistle:?

"Bacteria is free, yay!"

It most certainly is, but people continue to waste their $ on the bottled stuff (often at the suggestion of LFS employees, who are there to make a buck, and usually don't have a clue about fishkeeping)
Iā€™ve never used that bottled stuff - so unnatural. :no:

Besides, I would rather do it the right way first, so I donā€™t have to redo it.

@PlasticGalaxy well tupperware is proportionate to the tank, since you cannot put "big" fishes in a 60 liters tank ;)
No substrate. The first week 25% water change every 2 days to avoid ammonia, the following week also 25% water change but using water tank insteau of spring water (Volvic).
No rocks except if you want your tank sinks :whistle:?
Ah, thank you!

I'm renowned for being clumsy. I'd probably tip a pot over and dump the fish in the tank in the first day of quarantine :(
Tell me about it...I recently got some amano shrimp, one jumped from the net after acclimating, I didn't notice until I stepped on him/her :/

Iā€™ve never used that bottled stuff - so unnatural. :no:

Besides, I would rather do it the right way first, so I donā€™t have to redo it.
I just hate wasting $ on stuff I don't need....wish my wife was the same way

Oh my God nooo ? ...I might not like the answer to this, but was the shrimp okay? ?
Um, no....I was heartbroken, it was terrible....should have known better though, shrimp are jumpy when out of the water, and these guys are bigger than what I normally keep....lesson learned

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back