Fwlro Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Well the question is simple. I have a 29 gallon FWLRO tank with 2 damsels, a clown fish and a organge spotted goby. 100 gallon protien skimmer and a 110 HOB filter with about 45-50lbs of live rock in the tank.

Now I have no lid on it currently because I havent had the money for a lid, but I kind of like it without one in all honsesty. So my question is: Is it better to have a lid on a tank, or is it better without a lid.

I got into the bad habit of not using a lid recently because I was always in the tank and my fish have all been in there for so long I guess I trusted them. A few days ago I got a new wrasse and the lid went back on.
The obvious and largest con of not using a lid- fish jump. Sometimes for absolutely no reason. It doesn't matter what kind of fish. Assume any and all fish will jump.

The only bad things I've ever run into with using a lid is inconvenience of getting into the tank and the tank getting too hot. I use eggcrate in the summer now, however, so that is no longer a problem.

All-in-all, I think the risk of fish jumping is worth using a top.

Agreed. I run open top tanks because of the light units I use but I would strongly recommend using egg crate to cover them with. I have had two marine fish jump on me (a common clown and a firefish). Thankfully someone was there when the firefish jumped so it got put right back in the tank but the clown wasnt so lucky.

Running without a hood does help in the summer when its hot as it helps keep the temp down. You will have to top up a lot more though because of condensation.

I run with Glass lids on and cool the tank through the sump with some Azoo Fans I would dread to think of my rhomboid jumping out :sick:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back