Future stocking plans

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just planning future additions and wondered if the following sounded ok to you guys.

200ltr
100cm(w) x 74(h) x 40(d)
Ph 7.4
Gh13
Temp 25c

Current stock

8 dwarf neon rainbowfish
8 albion corys
4 nerite snails

Id like to add

8 Odessa barbs

Then if possible
*1 bolivan ram
*6 Amano shrimp

*Need to do a bit more looking up on these. I know shrimp can be snacks for fish but would get the large amano if this is possible.

Any other suggestions welcome :good:

Thanks in advance

The Odessa Barb should be fine here, in a group of 7-8. They are active swimmers, much more so than the dwarf rainbowfish, and this would likely annoy the Bolivian Ram which like most cichlids is quite sedate. The shrimp I will leave for the shrimp experts to comment. :fish:

The Odessa Barb should be fine here, in a group of 7-8. They are active swimmers, much more so than the dwarf rainbowfish, and this would likely annoy the Bolivian Ram which like most cichlids is quite sedate. The shrimp I will leave for the shrimp experts to comment. :fish:
Thanks Bryon,

That was my worry with the bolivian tbh.
Im still planning and looking up different species and options.

I think odessa barbs are my first choice at the moment but if i picked a less active group of fish would the ram be ok with the rainbows?

Could you also advise on the following please:

Am i right in thinking congo tetra are more suited to softer water?

And is it possible to do a group of 5 or 6 male plattys together?

:thanks:

Melanotaenia praecox will be fine with rams but your GH might be an issue for them if it's 13dGH.
Congo tetras prefer soft water.
Platies would be fine if the GH is 13dGH, but you will need to quarantine them and treat them for intestinal worms and gill flukes before adding them to the main display tank.

Melanotaenia praecox will be fine with rams but your GH might be an issue for them if it's 13dGH.
Congo tetras prefer soft water.
Platies would be fine if the GH is 13dGH, but you will need to quarantine them and treat them for intestinal worms and gill flukes before adding them to the main display tank.

Oh right i thought rams was ok with upto 15dgh.

Defo going to quarantine after the trouble ive had. Going to leave it another couple of weeks to check everythings ok then ill qt new fish for a month when i get them.

Odessa's no.1 choice but all male platies would be a ok option. Would aggression be a problem without females?

rams come from soft water and might be ok for a while in harder water. But if it's too hard it will stress them a bit.

rainbowfish and barbs will eat baby platies so I would go 5 female (and maybe 1 male) platies and let the other fish deal with the young. If you want to keep any young, you can collect them up and put them in a breeding net.

You could have the barbs and some platies. Get yellow or black platies to contrast with the other fish.

You could have the barbs and some platies. Get yellow or black platies to contrast with the other fish.

Really like the sound of that. Cool suggestion thanks :)

Im thinking of upgrading my Qt tank. My make shift one is only about 50 litres.

20190820_124827.jpg

Need something a little bigger with a lid. In your wisdom Would something around 75 litre be big enough to house 8 odessa barb for the month qt? And if i had a plastic lid, id take it i would have to drill some holes in the top

My quarantine tanks and tubs only hold about 40 litres so a 50 litre one is sufficient for most fish, certainly for Odessa barbs.

Unless you have a really tight fitting lid and no airstone in the tank, there is no reason to put holes in the lid.

My quarantine tanks and tubs only hold about 40 litres so a 50 litre one is sufficient for most fish, certainly for Odessa barbs.

Unless you have a really tight fitting lid and no airstone in the tank, there is no reason to put holes in the lid.

Thats good to know :) i want a new one i can see through into a little easier (old ones got frosted sides and hard to see fish through it) but if i can stick to a 50litre that will help and be better for storage etc.

As ever thank you for your advise Colin :thanks:

P.s barb ratio 4male 4female?

yes if you can get even numbers of male and female barbs, it is best. So 4male and 4 females is great.

Been looking into barbs today and come across the Filament barb (remind me of the congo tetra's how they colour up)

Are these similar to the odessa's in terms of size, behaviour and environment needs?

Been looking into barbs today and come across the Filament barb (remind me of the congo tetra's how they colour up)

Are these similar to the odessa's in terms of size, behaviour and environment needs?

The Filament Barb, Dawkinsia filamentosus, attains six inches though normally between 5 and 6 inches, so that is roughly double the size of the Odessa. Filament really needs a 4-foot (120 cm) length tank as it is an active swimmer and a group of 8 is recommended.

The Filament Barb, Dawkinsia filamentosus, attains six inches though normally between 5 and 6 inches, so that is roughly double the size of the Odessa. Filament really needs a 4-foot (120 cm) length tank as it is an active swimmer and a group of 8 is recommended.

Big :fish:then! Certainly think of them when i get a bigger tank in the future tho.

Cheers Bryon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back