Future 60 Gallon Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

twixster

Reaction score
I am making an old 60 gallon tank of mine i previously used for reptiles into a fish tank.
I have a 40 gallon one in the corner right now that i keep 2 angel fish in and few other fish that is not planted.

I am planning on having dwarf riccia/riccia fluitians on the bottom using a method i read on another post and also java moss and java fern.What other easily to take care of/fast growing plants do you recommend?I read that for the riccia i will probly most definatly need C02 injections.Does riccia have to have C02 to live and grow?

For the fish i am going to stick to smaller fish such as neon tetra,white cloud fish,gold barb,guppies, myer hatchet fish, cories,ghost shrimp,red cherry shrimp,and glassfish. I planned on putting my angel fish into the future 60 gallon i am planning here but i think the large agel fish may chase/eat? the smaller fish. The smaller black angel i have is shy and never chases or nips so i was planning on putting him in the 60.Will these fish live together?I have researched and picked them as they are said to be community fish that live in same temperatures/pH lvls but i would like to hear what you guys think about it.

Also i decided on sand instead of rock gravel, the plants should be ok in this if its deep enough right?
and is there any filters that you suggest?i am not that happy about my penguin filter in my 40g

Thanks for any help :good:

How thick is the glass? If it was originally bought for reptiles, the glass may be too thin.
umm... Also neons are also part of an angels diet in the wild so it will be like hunting season. :(
Plants will do fine in sand. As for filters especially on a tank that large external is always a good way to go. Look at the eheim line of things.

sorry i didn't say this before orginally it was a fish tank that my brother had while he was in collage than he moved and gave me the cage so i used it for my reptiles an am now converting it back to a fish tank
----------------
also i have the old 48" 40 watt marine-glo bulb that he orginally used for his fish this will not work for live plants in the fish tank will it?What bulb do you recommend for live plants,how many watts?

And also i was looking at the hagen ntrafin for the C02 but i will need 3 of them INSIDE the cage because they can only do 20g each do you know of any other C02 pre setups thats can do 60 gallons?or is 1-2 enough if i don't have tons of live plants?

Or if i triple the dose of packages that i put into one hagen netrafin will it produce enough C02 bubles for a 60 gallon tank because a normal 1 package is enough for a 20g?and also can you but your own mixture of yeast that is not the brand package for the netrafin and will it still work?

---------

scratch the angels i will leave them in the 40g but will the other fish do ok together?And what if any alge eater should i get (or what type of cory) --do not suggest plecos those things make a mess and grow huge, my brothers current tank still has 2 plecos from when he had this tank and they still knock over and stir up gravel everywhere and have grown huge

With a tank the size of 60 gallons, a non-pressurized co2 system is not likely to be very stable. I'd recommend buying a tank and everything. Check out peoples co2 setups in the planted section. They'll also be able to give you a lot more info on what lighting to use. Or depending on what and how many plants you have, co2 may not even be a necessity. My 60 gallon has no co2 and a number of plants are doing just fine in there. Also give a read to some of the pinned topics on algae eaters. You'll need to make sure you have a constant supply of algae and or algae wafers for them to eat.
Good luck- Christian

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back