Fungus growing on wound

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chen jing kai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Previously, I have posted that my gourami had a wound on him and now it is growing fungus. Can I use API Fungus cure to treat it? Should I start using something to let it heal quicker? My water quality had actually become a bit worse because for a period of time I ran out of bacteria to use.

Pictures of the fish so we can confirm it is fungus and not just excess mucous?

Try doing the following:
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below). Salt will kill some external parasites and treats fungus.

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

I do not know what it wrong with it. I am really hoping it is not the dwarf gourami iridovirus but I cannot really identify what is wrong with it. There is this red marking on its lips. I have given it a salt bath, 5g/litre

Attachments

• 2E7A3FDA-C113-4866-8ADD-8262F38C40E2.jpeg
    2E7A3FDA-C113-4866-8ADD-8262F38C40E2.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 0CC5C273-B44C-4634-9FDD-07364C45D0C6.jpeg
    0CC5C273-B44C-4634-9FDD-07364C45D0C6.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2AE93C61-2B12-4677-92E2-62601115582A.jpeg
    2AE93C61-2B12-4677-92E2-62601115582A.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 61
The white stuff is Saprolegnia fungus and grows on wounds. Add some salt to get rid of the fungus. The salt should also help clean up the wound a bit.

The white stuff is Saprolegnia fungus and grows on wounds. Add some salt to get rid of the fungus. The salt should also help clean up the wound a bit.
Oh ok thank you. I am planning to use some Melafix and maybe some fungal killer too, is that okay? Now there is a white stringy thing coming out of the wound.

When I add in the medicine and all, can I separate the fish from the rest and also give it a salt bath? How long should I give the salt bath to it for?

Sorry that I have so many questions but what about the bloating and my gouramis huge belly, is it just being fed too much or something else? Is the reddening on the lips a sign of something?

Dont use 2 meds at once... Stick with the salt and see if it goes down.

The salt did make it go down a little, so I should avoid the medicine? Let’s say I still use the medicine, should I separate the fish.

The salt did make it go down a little, so I should avoid the medicine? Let’s say I still use the medicine, should I separate the fish.
You could separate but since youve already started the treatment in the main tank just finish it there... And yes if the salt is making it go down, avoid using medications.

You could separate but since youve already started the treatment in the main tank just finish it there... And yes if the salt is making it go down, avoid using medications.
Um actually I had separated the gourami when I gave it the salt bath. Could I just buy the medication as a precaution? Would constant salt baths be okay for the fish? Thanks in advance.

Um actually I had separated the gourami when I gave it the salt bath. Could I just buy the medication as a precaution? Would constant salt baths be okay for the fish? Thanks in advance.
Ive always been told to use meds as a last resort and not to completely count on them... I guess you could get them but I doubt you'll use them now especially if he's doing better...

Oh ok, thanks. But his wound is still there and I was thinking of using melafix to treat the wound. How long should I be giving salt baths to the gourami? Can the medicine be harmful to the fish?

Would constant salt baths be okay for the fish?
This depends on the salt amounts in the water... If your fish is sick the salt baths help him... Also what do you mean by constant?

Let me also put this in prospective... If you are getting a serious heart surgery you'd have to be put under anesthesia no questions asked... BUT, lets say you had to get a small finger surgery for a splinter that went fairly deep... You would only need a numbing shot to cope.

Basically your fish isnt on deaths bed and doesnt need some harsh medication, it just needs some light salt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back