Fungal infection (almost certain)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
đŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! 🩎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
This might been a more or less “she may survive but maybe not” thread, but one of my cobra female guppies started showing symptoms of an infection a week ago.I do not have much experience with fungus and infections but I have been treating the tank for a good 4 days with API Melafix (and ick cure for precautions). A week ago, this looked like nothing but a scratch. Then, I noticed it turned bigger and it started to protrude. I had a gut feeling by then to treat the tank because whatever it had was already in the water by now and there was no point in taking her out (in my opinion). I also want to note that salt is something I will not do unless necessary because this is a fully planted tank.

Here are pictures:

Before I caught on to what happened
68C3C694-D8C0-44F5-B4E9-8CC81861E056.jpeg

After I realized
E766628D-0C2F-436E-BD81-4557A31CE6F5.jpeg
ACBB882D-6430-4041-8E0E-58E78B2DFAA3.jpeg

Do you have another tank/small QT you could move her to for salt treatment?

It doesn't quite look like a fungal infection. Fungus looks fluffy. Most live plants can handle a week or two of salt treatment btw, I've done it before.

Also if a fish does have a fungal infection, it doesn't mean the whole tank needs treating for fungus. There are always bacteria and fungal spores floating about it tanks, and don't present a problem to a healthy fish. It's only when a fish gets an injury or weakness like fin rot or damaged scales that the fungus or bacteria can become a secondary infection. Personally I'd isolate her and use salt treatment.

I'd also water change out the pimafix/melafix rubbish - it's not helpful, more snake oil than medication.

Do you have another tank/small QT you could move her to for salt treatment?

It doesn't quite look like a fungal infection. Fungus looks fluffy. Most live plants can handle a week or two of salt treatment btw, I've done it before.

Also if a fish does have a fungal infection, it doesn't mean the whole tank needs treating for fungus. There are always bacteria and fungal spores floating about it tanks, and don't present a problem to a healthy fish. It's only when a fish gets an injury or weakness like fin rot or damaged scales that the fungus or bacteria can become a secondary infection. Personally I'd isolate her and use salt treatment.

I'd also water change out the pimafix/melafix rubbish - it's not helpful, more snake oil than medication.
Ok thanks for the advice, I will set up a 1 gallon tub
 I know what to do further (have dealt with ich blooms ten thousand times)

Ok thanks for the advice, I will set up a 1 gallon tub
 I know what to do further (have dealt with ich blooms ten thousand times)

It's not ich... but it's worrying if you're dealing with ich a lot other than on new fish in QT, but even then, not as often as that! Or you're having outbreaks of something in the tank now and then, do you mean?

How are the rest of the fish looking? Any of the others showing signs of any issues?
The only real problem I have is that she just fot pregnant and the survival of the fry are questionable 😞

Always a risk I'm afraid, but the mother's health should take priority, and she needs treatment, so have to hope the fry make it. But the fry stand a better chance if the mother is treated, rather than risk losing both fry and mom.

@Colin_T what do you think? I'm not convinced it's fungus, and the way the wound has got worse worries me.

It's not ich... but it's worrying if you're dealing with ich a lot other than on new fish in QT, but even then, not as often as that! Or you're having outbreaks of something in the tank now and then, do you mean?

How are the rest of the fish looking? Any of the others showing signs of any issues?

Always a risk I'm afraid, but the mother's health should take priority, and she needs treatment, so have to hope the fry make it. But the fry stand a better chance if the mother is treated, rather than risk losing both fry and mom.

@Colin_T what do you think? I'm not convinced it's fungus, and the way the wound has got worse worries me.
None of the other fish are showing issues, and I meant that I have gotten many ich blooms in tgw past with my guppies and tetras

To me, it appears bacterial, welling up from under her skin, and not fungal. It would spread to her fry anyway, so focus on her. Try in quarantine, but I would not be optimistic.

The pictures are not clear enough for me to want to suggest anything. I would be curious about the mouth area. I would suggest you do a bit of research into columnaris if for no other reason than to rule it out. If this is what it is, then real antibiotics are the only solution.

I tend to read the scientific literature on this sort of thing, but it is advanced for me and much of it I cannot understand. However, here is a more user friendly take which would not be a bad place to start. However, this sort of literature may be a bit off the ,ark at times or a bit incomplete. However, one needs to start somewhere.

I have battled this disease noireso than any other in my tanks and for the most part have been successful in treating it. Most time it came in with imported fish or at least newly acquired fish.

This disease comes in a variety of strains as the article mentions. They vary in virulaemce. The most virulaent can wipe out a tank before you see any symptoms while less virulent ones can affect fish for some time before it gets really serious. When you begin to read more broadly on this diesease you discover that different sources recommend different medications. I am not sure what one can get in Canada.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back