Fun Facts We Didn't Need To Know

The skeletons of English archers were deformed from years of archery. The high poundage of war bows, coupled with years of training in their use from a young age, led to skeletons having over-developed shoulder and arm bones to compensate for the growth of muscle around those areas.
Smithsonian: They searched for clues to its origins by analyzing the etymology of Amazones, the Greek for Amazon. The most popular explanation claimed that Amazones was a derivation of a, “without,” and mazos, “breasts”; another explanation suggested ama-zoosai, meaning “living together,” or possibly ama-zoonais, “with girdles.” The idea that Amazons cut or cauterized their right breasts in order to have better bow control offered a kind of savage plausibility that appealed to the Greeks.

Yes, each pod has their own culture... It absolutely amazing!

Look at the one pod where the matriarch is teaching the others to damage rudders. We would be in big trouble if other whale/large ocean species decided they had enough of our BS on their waters.

Was going to challenge the 1st fact, as I always heard raspberry… turns out artificial vanilla, raspberry, and strawberry, may all contain a lil beaver

That is SOOO cool!!!
I've heard of orcas teaching their young cool things, but ididnt know that each pod has their own culture and dialect. That's so cool

Orcas from different areas speak different languages. Each pod has its own dialect and unique clicks.
Not only: they all cry and look for the attention of their mother with the same sounds and behaviours as newborns. The languages are a learned behavior. They are actually different culture.
On the pacific west coast transient orcas (that migrate along the coast in search of feeding ground) and local orcas (pods that live their whole life in the same bays) speak completely different languages and don't interact with each other because they can't even understand each other.

Fun fact you probably didnt need to know: My dad was on one of three aircraft carriers used to film the original Top Gun movie while it was being filmed!
A paraphrased conversation that took place:
My dad: "I think thats Val Kilmer!"
My dad's friend: "Nahh, I don't think that is, why would he would be here?"
My dad: "No seriously, I really think that is!"
Val Kilmer: *walks over* "Yes, I'm Val Kilmer nice to meet you"
And then they all laughed

Fact you probably definitely didn't need to know and I didn't need to know but for proc reasons I'm posting it here LOL

The British used to "eat" Egyptian mummies all the way up to 1909 for medicinal purposes

Fact you probably definitely didn't need to know and I didn't need to know but for proc reasons I'm posting it here LOL

The British used to "eat" Egyptian mummies all the way up to 1909 for medicinal purposes
YUCH but many 'OLD' cures are still used today. For example the local VA hospital still uses maggots to fight extremely severe infections. Seems that the beasties will only eat the dead tissue. Actual fact. Maggots are still used to fight infections and they do a pretty good job.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back