Fully Freshwater Amanos via Hybrid Caridinia? (Shrimp)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ArmchairAquariest

Reaction score
I know Caridinia species are crossed frequently to produce many of the interesting dwarf shrimp species that are for sale. But has anyone yet managed to cross Amanos (Caridina multidentata) with other Caridinia? Some example possibilities being:

-Bee Shrimp (Caridina cf. cantonensis)

-Tiger Shrimp (Caridina Sp)

-Babaulti shrimp (Caridina babaulti)

I know Amanos will breed and even carry fertilized eggs all in freshwater, it is just their young that require brackish to thrive until they are closer to adulthood. The point though is this is not true of all species in the Caridina genus. For instance the three Caridina species listed above will happily create generation after generation within a proper all-freshwater enclosure.

"Why do you care?"

I was kind of interested in seeing if there was a way to create a shrimp with the algae-eating prowess of the Amano, and also the self-maintaining populations of the all-fresh-water-breeders in their same genus (a genus in which many species are known to be able to cross-breed.)

Any ideas or relevant knowledge?

wait- they arent fully freshwater?
sorry i didnt read the whole thread.. ill read it

Really interesting idea! I have heard that a lot of the 'Amano' shrimp in the hobby are not actually the same species and there are a couple that do breed in fresh water but it depends on where you live as to if you get them or one of the other relatives.

Wills

Really interesting idea! I have heard that a lot of the 'Amano' shrimp in the hobby are not actually the same species and there are a couple that do breed in fresh water but it depends on where you live as to if you get them or one of the other relatives.

Wills

Oh that is interesting. I'll have to look more into that. Please et me know if you have any leads in these regards.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back