Fuel To The Fire Of Acclimatization

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shouldnt this sort of discussion be saved for the new section of the forum thats just been created?

So only one person was willing to suggest immediate removal was a preferable way to get the Aspidora out of the brown foul bag water where 2 of his mates had been floating dead with him for up to 2.5 days and into the cleaner water?

So only one person was willing to suggest immediate removal was a preferable way to get the Aspidora out of the brown foul bag water where 2 of his mates had been floating dead with him for up to 2.5 days and into the cleaner water?
If you look, most people recommend doing whatever you feel most comfortable doing. There just isn't enough evidence to really recommend one way or the other.

I would love to see more evidence on the acclimatisation periods of fish though, and this is certainly a topic I will be recommending for future debate in the science forum.

Great! I hope you will let me know when you post some of your reseach. The subject is of interest to you then? Perhaps I have not been only a thorn in your side. :hey:

I also have looked further into things after encounters with andywg. But I do that when people are civil and courteous, also. There is a saying in sales among some old timers, "A man convinced against his will, unpersuaded remains still." Actually it is an old German saying translated to English. In sales people learn to get people's attention and interest without inflaming them (refering to the heat that flushes a face in anger.)

I was only a so-so sales person for 9 years.

I would love to see more evidence on the acclimatisation periods of fish though, and this is certainly a topic I will be recommending for future debate in the science forum.

Great! I hope you will let me know when you post some of your reseach. The subject is of interest to you then? Perhaps I have not been only a thorn in your side. :hey:
Maybe, maybe not. ;)

I am easily interested and find almost everything I encounter somewhat interesting, especially when it comes to considering how and why things happen, or the way they are.

But you do not have enough informstion to make any recommendation concerning getting a fish from the foul water to the clean water?

But you do not have enough informstion to make any recommendation concerning getting a fish from the foul water to the clean water?
Not witout knowing the readings for ammonia, nitrites, nitrate, pH, GH, KH for both the bag water and the clean water, and then having a good understanding of how jumps in any of these parameters is handled by fish.

Without the above, we are just making resoned guesses as to what is best. I try not to give recommendations without something more concrete to back up the recommendations. I leave that to others on the forum.

OO that I would pour the bag of water over a net in the sink because you dont want that nasty water, then you'd put the fish in the net into the tank..

Right i have nothing to add to this thread of a scientific nature, my own way of acclimatising newly purchased fish is drip water into their box for as long as it takes for the parameters to equalise and will happliy spend 20 hours or more doing so if needed because when ive just speant upwards of £100 a fish i want to make damn sure it stays alive.

BUT i am appalled by the way some people have treated Andywg in this thread and have already suspended one person for their out of order comments and will be increasing that to a full ban as soon as the time out on the suspension is over after the last comment i read (i should have read the whole thread before issuing the suspension). If you cannot back up your claims with hard evidence then either say so or say nothing at all, if i ever see anyone resorting to personal attacks and threats again i will suspend them without a moments thought.

I found this to be of great interest:

The most important single factor in transporting fish
is the provision of adequate concentrations of dissolved
oxygen (DO). The importance of supplying adequate
levels of dissolved oxygen cannot be overemphasized.
Failure to do so results in severe stress and possibly
hypoxia or buildups of blood lactic acid which may
contribute to fish kills two to three days after stocking.full article here

Further goes on to state that improper bagging procedures or bag damage are the most likely cause of low DO. The hypoxia and lactic acid build up theory is something that I think would be quite interesting to follow up...

Oooh, I love all of this drama. It's like watching Eastenders, except...it's watchable!

Back to the subject in hand, at a store near us they add oxygen to their bags as a matter of course. Since I don't imagine oxygen is cheap to purchase, (completely anecdotally of course) it would appear that, this LFS at least, gains some improvement in the suvivability of stock. Either that, or they are an extremely poor business, that wastes money on a needless overhead...

As I understand it it depends on how long the fish are in the bag. If you pick up the fish and get them home within several hours most will agree to"aclimatise". When they have been in the bag for several days there are many different opinions. Don T.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back