Fry (?)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Do betta fry scavenge off the bottom? Mine are little over 2 days old and free swimming. I can't tell if they're eating or not. I've put a little bbs in there and some egg yolk. They for the most part are just cruising at the bottom. I'm using a 10gal half full when would be a good time to do a water change? I can barely see them and don't want to suck them up.

how many day did it take your eggs to hatch ?? just wondering

i think, and this is not for sure

that they have an egg sack and that it takes three days to dissolve that, then they start eating

I think

goodluck

is it bad if the eggs fall constantly ? my fish looks tired... and should i leave him a dim light ? or is he ok he the dark

Your going to have to elaborate a little more because this isnt your thread so we really have no idea what you're talking about.

i think, and this is not for sure

that they have an egg sack and that it takes three days to dissolve that, then they start eating

I think

goodluck
I couldve sworn every info I've read has said when they're free swimming they will be ready for their first meal. It took right at 2days before they all started free swimming.

About the eggs falling out of the nest question. Mine dropped about 25 eggs that didn't hatched and I still had around 30-40 fry some of which I can't even count so at this point I have no clue how many fry I have.
Oh and you should give him a light.

-_- i thought you said you did research?

anyways, try looking at the FAQ topics at the top by wuv. And if the fry have orange bellies that means they've taken in the bbs. good luck.

and yes, by the time they're free swimming they dont have their egg sack anymore

Please don't give me any of your bull :grr: . I have done research and I've kept bettas for awhile. Anyways, I have tried a little brine shrimp but mainly egg yolk. I don't have the best eyesight so I can't really tell if they're eating it.

Edit: When I say I give them little brine I mean very little just to see if they would react to it. I watched the majority of them fall to the bottom and die. That's why I asked the question if the fry scavanged off the bottom.

:blink: Wow. How rude. I was just simply saying if you read Wuv's FAQs you wouldve seen that orange bellies are a sign that the fry have eaten them. If they're dead I doubt the fry have eaten or will eat any of them. + Egg yolk clouds up your water quite badly so I don't suggest putting in both egg yolk and bbs in at the same time as it might not allow the fry to see the bbs or something like that.

EDIT: Try finding a spawn diary somewhere. Some show the different bellies the fry get from different foods.

-_- i thought you said you did research?
Sorry but I have done lots of research and have owned bettas awhile and I didn't appreciate the comment. I am just worried because it is my first spawn.
Edit: I don't put in that much egg yolk at a time and I use a different method that doesn't cloud up the water.

Some fry eat egg yolk, some don't. Depends. I also heard that CT fry and some other fry are slightly larger so they'll take in bbs sooner or something like that. What kind of tails are yours? You might want to try micros first.

I just fed my fry bbs from about day 3 after hatching, I used to love watching them chasing and eating them as the bellies did change colour mine used to eat about 2-3 brine shrimp each to begin with at least 3 times a day and then as they grew the amount they ate increased. I've never used egg yolk to feed them and not sure if they do scavange from the bottom. Mine werent ones for eating anything that wasnt moving! My fry were VT too.

Well I decided to do the way most people do it on the bettas4all forum. Feed egg yolk the first three days and then start right off on bbs. I have also been told by thailand breeders that some even start bbs the first day.

Edit: Tailtype is rose/gold HMPK

Some breeders start feeding bbs at around 1 week? But it all really depends on the person. Make sure you decap the bbs so they dont get swim bladder. Some fry eat egg yolk, some don't. GL

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back