Fry Success Guarantee

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have had several batches of fry and they have NEVER seemed to survive. Something always went wrong with what I was doing.

I want to make sure, that my current batch of three fry don't die.

I have one molly and two platys. They are probably a fourth of an inch long, their dorsal fins are growing in and I believe I will soon be able to tell the gender. ( I will get pics when I am home )

I feed them 2-3 times a day with dried bloodworms, is there anything I can do (feed, environment, temp, etc) to make sure they grow into healthy babies? I would LOVE to keep at least one of them.

They are currently in a clear breeding tank, sitting in the main tank. I didn't want to take them out because I wanted the adults to get used to them and they get used to the adults.

Thank you!

for me, 1 out of 10 is ?
just frequent water changes, do it in the breeder too

Dry bloodworms is a crap food for baby fish. Either use newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms, or crumble up some dry flake food into a powder and use that.

Baby fish need to be fed 3-5 times per day. They should be fed enough so they have fat stomachs and look like pregnant guppies.

They need clean water. If the breeding trap has water flowing through it from the main tank, that should be fine. If it doesn't have water flowing through it, then change all the water in it every day.

Have some floating plants in with the babies to make them feel safe.

-------------------
If you have lots of plants in the tank with the adults, and you feed the adults well (2-5 times per day), they don't normally eat their young when they give birth. Then you can use a small plastic container to scoop the young out and put them in a breeding net in the main tank. Or put them into another tank with an established filter. Use an air operated sponge filter for the baby tank.

Dry bloodworms is a crap food for baby fish. Either use newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms, or crumble up some dry flake food into a powder and use that.

Baby fish need to be fed 3-5 times per day. They should be fed enough so they have fat stomachs and look like pregnant guppies.

They need clean water. If the breeding trap has water flowing through it from the main tank, that should be fine. If it doesn't have water flowing through it, then change all the water in it every day.

Have some floating plants in with the babies to make them feel safe.

-------------------
If you have lots of plants in the tank with the adults, and you feed the adults well (2-5 times per day), they don't normally eat their young when they give birth. Then you can use a small plastic container to scoop the young out and put them in a breeding net in the main tank. Or put them into another tank with an established filter. Use an air operated sponge filter for the baby tank.
Perfect! Where can I find that food? I haven’t seen it in Petco. I do have dry flake food that I can crush up.

Most pet shops sell dry brineshrimp eggs and you can hatch them in salt water. Some shops sell microworm cultures and they can be grown at home. You can also find them on Ebay.

The following link has info about culturing them and other food for baby fish.

I have a 100% Sucess rate with Guppy fry. None of them have ever died unless caught by the adults. Ive had lots n lots of batches off different parents
Bronze Cory fry a few years back but i struggled to raise a lot of the batch, So around 10/15 of them survived out of 40/50 that hatched.
I dont feed them for 24 hours after birth, I always start on Spirulina powder for day 2, Then day 3 move up to crushed flake & BBS I only feed spirulina as i know its very small & all newborns will take it, I have fed freeze dried bloodworm, ive mixed it with Liquifry but this was in my early days of fry

I always have success with keeping salt in the fry tank and start them off on a squished cooked pea, then start them onto flakes. Livebearers like vegetable matter and squished pea makes an easy small soft food for the first week

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back