April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello!

I currently have fry babies (one is for sure a molly but the other two might be platys).

I was wondering when would be a good time to put them in with the adults. As of now- they are close to half an inch (I would guess a bit larger than a fourth of an inch).

Hello!

I currently have fry babies (one is for sure a molly but the other two might be platys).

I was wondering when would be a good time to put them in with the adults. As of now- they are close to half an inch (I would guess a bit larger than a fourth of an inch).
yeah, put them in, never had problems with livebearers eating children anyway tho...
if it is more than the adult can fit in its mouth then go for it
im assuming it is a med size platy

yeah, put them in, never had problems with livebearers eating children anyway tho...
if it is more than the adult can fit in its mouth then go for it
im assuming it is a med size platy
It is- I will grab some pictures and use my thumb for reference. I have had several fry be slurped up by my platys. I watch them chase them whenever I first find them.

I tried to release my last batch of fry when they were similar size to this one and one of my platys immediately went on the hunt and ate one.

It was a terrible experience.

It is- I will grab some pictures and use my thumb for reference. I have had several fry be slurped up by my platys. I watch them chase them whenever I first find them.

I tried to release my last batch of fry when they were similar size to this one and one of my platys immediately went on the hunt and ate one.

It was a terrible experience.
ok, then do not, its always good to wait

Generally you can mix young with other fish when they are at least half the size of the bigger fish. However, if you have males and females in the parent tank, do not mix young fish with their parents because they will breed and weaken the bloodlines.

If you have a tank of males or females, you can mix the young males with the bigger males, but monitor them for fighting. And you can mix the young females with the adult females. But monitor them for fighting too, and keep an eye on the young females because young males look like females until they become sexually mature.

Most reactions

Back