Fry not growing?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Platysrcool12345

Reaction score
Hi about a little over a month ago my platy gave birth to somewhere around 15 fry and my molly to somewhere Iā€™m guessing around 60 fry I moved all the fry to a 50 gallon and they have been doing good. They seem to be eating good, growing fast, and are very active. However I was looking and I have 2 platys which seem to be the same size as when they were about a week old. Like they are tiny. Why is that? Should I be worried about them getting eaten? Iā€™ll include some pictures to help. Thanks

Attachments

• DE33D6EB-C26C-4BF9-BA7E-2611213DB813.jpeg
    DE33D6EB-C26C-4BF9-BA7E-2611213DB813.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 8BA36D17-AAE2-4C7A-9899-31B0CD641530.jpeg
    8BA36D17-AAE2-4C7A-9899-31B0CD641530.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 5ADAADAF-3452-4C5E-83C0-A05D6A55A973.jpeg
    5ADAADAF-3452-4C5E-83C0-A05D6A55A973.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 60
They either need more food or have genetic defects stunting their growth.

Make sure they have fat stomachs at all times. Well fed fry should look like a pregnant guppy.

It's more likely that they haven't fed themselves well enough in comparison to the others. But it's normal that not all fry of the same batch will grow at the same pace. I woulnd't be too worried about those two.

They either need more food or have genetic defects stunting their growth.

Make sure they have fat stomachs at all times. Well fed fry should look like a pregnant guppy.
I think they have enough food as I feed them 3 times a day with fairly large pinched. If they have a genetic defect could this cause problems in the future?

I think they have enough food as I feed them 3 times a day with fairly large pinched. If they have a genetic defect could this cause problems in the future?
Fry should be fed 3-5 times a day and given enough food so they are no longer hungry. I used to feed powder food first, then microworms, then newly hatched brineshrimp. I added enough brineshrimp so it was floating around all over the tank and the fish could pick at it over the next few hours. When the fish got bigger, I added finely chopped marine mix (prawn, fish and squid) after the dry food, then microworms and newly hatched brineshrimp.

You should offer a little bit of food and let them eat it, then offer more. Continue doing this until they are full. If you just put food in and walk away, the biggest fry get most of the food and a few don't get enough and become runts/ stunted.

Some genetic defects can affect fish as they mature but it depends on what it is. If the fish looks normal and has both eyes, normal gills and all its fins, then it will be fine when it gets older.

Fry should be fed 3-5 times a day and given enough food so they are no longer hungry. I used to feed powder food first, then microworms, then newly hatched brineshrimp. I added enough brineshrimp so it was floating around all over the tank and the fish could pick at it over the next few hours. When the fish got bigger, I added finely chopped marine mix (prawn, fish and squid) after the dry food, then microworms and newly hatched brineshrimp.

You should offer a little bit of food and let them eat it, then offer more. Continue doing this until they are full. If you just put food in and walk away, the biggest fry get most of the food and a few don't get enough and become runts/ stunted.

Some genetic defects can affect fish as they mature but it depends on what it is. If the fish looks normal and has both eyes, normal gills and all its fins, then it will be fine when it gets older.
The fry are about a month and a week old for the first month I fed 5 times a day last week I started 3 times. Should I move back to 5?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back