fry, fry and now eggs!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Jess080

Reaction score
Dear all

Very new to the aquarium world and decided to bite bullet and set up 60litre tropical aquarium- tank cycled and decided Danio were the safest starter fish. Fast forward 12 weeks and now have 4 leopard danio and one zebra, one panda Cory (had two - one died a week ago)
Last week I discovered excitedly that I had fry so I created a nursery tank with 6 Danio fry in.

Now I have just looked in my tank and have white/ pale yellow eggs and more fry hiding in the heater part of my 60litre fluval spec v

My question is what do I do next I only have the one tank and not sure I want to euthanize the newest fry by making them their parents lunch

Help!

As a fish keeper you need to come to terms that you cannot raise all the fry born in your tank. If I tried raising every egg laid I'd be overrun. If you want to raise the fry then move them to a fry tank.

Be aware that you can only keep so many fry in a certain sized tank before it becomes too crowded and the fry become stunted. Daily 50% water changes will help keeping fry growing at a steady rate but again, only if the tank isn't too crowded. For a zebra danio growout tank I'd have no less than a 10gal (40 liter) tank. You can even use a plastic storage tote if need be. I use a 20gal tote for pleco and betta fry complete with a heater and sponge filter. Daily water changes keep be busy.

Also, you must have a plan for the fry when they are large enough to go elsewhere. You don't want to overstock the original tank nor do you want to be stuck with a bunch of young fish with nowhere to put them.

Enjoy your fry! I have to admit that we rescue as many as we can from their parents. Eventually we will have to start rehoming them.

The easiest thing is to get another, larger aquarium (yes, I know, slippery slope and all that :p ) and make the 60 L your nursery tank. Then you can get your poor cory some friends, because cories need to live in groups. 5 is a minimum; more is better. If you can't do that, please rehome your cory, because you don't have space for the friends it needs.

Thank you both for your advice - going to get the Cory some friends on the weekend just think I had one that wasnā€™t in the best of health but the remaining one is thriving and growing

With regards to the fry I think Iā€™ll have to toughen up a bit and to be honest as a novice fish owner it was the one thing that didnā€™t really enter my head what to do with them and parental food seems the best way to go and see how many of my 6 initial fry survive

Iā€™ll be honest see how I go with the 60L tank but Iā€™m enjoying it so much that a second one is already in my thought process

Thank you all as itā€™s lovely to come somewhere and have questions answered and not feel stupid for asking them in the first place

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back