Fry and Guppy Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all-
I have 3 guppies (2 males, 1 female), a pair of swordtails, and I am looking to add a couple of platy pairs. Currently my guppy is pregnant and I am not sure what to do with the oncoming fry. I have a quarantine tank that can hold them in the meantime. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can rehome them?

Also, when I got my guppies, they were labeled as female fancy guppies but I only got one female and two males. Has that happened to anyone else?

Thank you.

Hi all-
I have 3 guppies (2 males, 1 female), a pair of swordtails, and I am looking to add a couple of platy pairs. Currently my guppy is pregnant and I am not sure what to do with the oncoming fry. I have a quarantine tank that can hold them in the meantime. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can rehome them?

Also, when I got my guppies, they were labeled as female fancy guppies but I only got one female and two males. Has that happened to anyone else?

Thank you.
You could try calling round the live fish stores in your area. Some stores welcome new additions.

If this doesn’t work out, I’d recommend posting a few adds online.

Best of luck!

Don't keep platies and swordtails together because they hybridise.

If you don't want baby fish, get all males. But beware, male livebearers will argue and big males bully smaller ones. And if you have any female fish in the tank (even different species), the males will try to breed with them.

Livebearers should be kept in single sex tanks consisting of males or females but not both. If you want to keep both sexes together, have at least 6 (preferably 10) females per male.

The swordtails will most likely eat all the fry so, I wouldn’t worry about what to do with them

The swordtails will most likely eat all the fry so, I wouldn’t worry about what to do with them
I would put the fry in my quarantine tank so the swordtails don't eat them.

Don't keep platies and swordtails together because they hybridise
Is that something I don't want to happen? I have seen people sell swordtail/platy hybrids.

Also, the pet store doesn't know the difference between male and female livebearers.

My guppy gave birth a couple of hrs ago. I found 6 fry and moved them to my quarantine tank. Are there possibly more babies?
One of the babies is grayish; idk if that is normal or not.

My guppy gave birth a couple of hrs ago. I found 6 fry and moved them to my quarantine tank. Are there possibly more babies?
One of the babies is grayish; idk if that is normal or not.
6 is very low, the fish either ate some or there are still more in the tan. Congratulations!

Okay, I am feeding the fry Hikari First Bites and boiled egg yolk every couple of hrs. I want to add some variation though. Is brine shrimp better than dried bloodworms or is something else worth trying?
A couple of the babies are gray; is that normal?

One of the fry seems to have a bent spine. Is that something to be concerned about?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back