Frustrated

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
don't use a water pump if it contains metal parts because the chlorine will rust the steel.

The pet stores usually have an air pump above the waterbarrel with an air stone. Always keep the air pump above the water.

The pet stores usually have an air pump above the waterbarrel with an air stone. Always keep the air pump above the water.
Hmm. Yeah I’ll prolly just scoop a bucket of water out and dump it in every so often to mix it up. Stupid question but anyone done a large bleach to water solution? Be about 50 gallons of water and 5 gallons of bleach to get that 10%. Wondering if this is a real strong smell? I’d take it outside but it’s still below freezing outside here.. don’t want the wife to kick me out if this wreaks of bleach

We may have already touched on this, but can't seem to find it in the thread. I have 125 gallons of saturated heavy saltwater running in my tank right now sanitizing it. There's a good layer of salt on the bottom that won't dissolve so I'm sure it's maxed. Since it is still cold outside where I live (below freezing at night) and since my wife requires that any bleach be used outside, could I just put the rocks into the tank for a good saltwater soak for a couple days?

Yes you can add the rocks to the salty water. If you have the rocks outside you can add salt to their container too.

And your wife is right, don't use bleach indoors unless you have really good ventilation because the chlorine fumes can burn your eyes, sinuses and lungs and send you to hospital.

So apparently as the temperature of my water rose to room temperature, the salt on the bottom dissolved into the water. I've now added 2 more 40 pound bags of salt and still need to add more. I'd imagine another bag or 2 would do the trick. Have you or anyone else used this method to disinfect a tank and equipment? I've searched a lot on google about sanitizing with this and hardly anyone talks about it. Just REALLY REALLY do not want to set everything back up and be diseased again... Not questioning you Colin, as you obviously know a lot. I just really want to be sure as this is quite stressful and sanitizing with salt is WAY over my head...

Freshwater diseases can't live in salt water, so as long as the water is salty enough, nothing will survive. And yes I have used it plenty of times to treat freshwater tanks and nets used in freshwater tanks. We used salt at the shops too. We had buckets of salt water and all the freshwater nets got put in that after use. And nets used in the marine tanks were put into buckets of freshwater to kill anything on them.

Freshwater diseases can't live in salt water, so as long as the water is salty enough, nothing will survive. And yes I have used it plenty of times to treat freshwater tanks and nets used in freshwater tanks. We used salt at the shops too. We had buckets of salt water and all the freshwater nets got put in that after use. And nets used in the marine tanks were put into buckets of freshwater to kill anything on them.
Ok, appreciate your patience with me. Just never had this happen before, and can’t deal with another collapse, so want to make sure I get this right this time. Thank you!

If you are concerned and want to increase the chance of killing everything, just let everything dry for a couple of days after it has been in salt water. Aquatic diseases can't live in a dry environment. The only exception to this is TB, but your fish didn't have that.

If you are concerned and want to increase the chance of killing everything, just let everything dry for a couple of days after it has been in salt water. Aquatic diseases can't live in a dry environment. The only exception to this is TB, but your fish didn't have that.
Alright, not concerned if the salt soak alone will do the trick. I’ll just rinse and set back up. If whatever I had originally over a year ago couldn’t have survived as everything was dry, then it had to have come in on the fish. Just weird to have the same symptoms. Anyway regardless, I’m going forward with the heavy salt solution and going from there

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back