Frustrated

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just checking on the bleach solution, your doing a 10% bleach? Also vinegar works well to for wipe downs and really rinse well. I try and let it sit out in the sun a few days if you can afterwards. I am lucky to have a back deck.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Please never use bleach in or near a tank. Even if you think you washed it off good, it is still there. Have you cleaned with bleach before?

I am no expert in the vast world of cichlids, but I do have a few questions to ask that other, more knowledgeable members will ask. How long has the tank been setup? What are your water parameters? How often do you preform water changes? How often do you clean the filter? What are its tank mates?

If the site you bought it from will refund you, I say take the refund. Unless you are really attached to that fish.

@PheonixKingZ bleach is an acceptable method for cleaning an aquarium, one part bleach to ten parts water. With a minimum of 3 thorough rinses ;)

Never used bleach. This tank has only been set up a month or so. I indicated the parameters in the original post.

@PheonixKingZ bleach is an acceptable method for cleaning an aquarium, one part bleach to ten parts water. With a minimum of 3 thorough rinses ;)
I was saying never use full strength bleach or even had strength bleach. Both can be very deadly to fish. :)

K no bleach. If I do end up taking everything down and draining it all completely, what do you guys think? Boil each piece of rock and plant and scrub the tank walls endlessly? What about the sand.. this is my setup. I really don’t want to take it all down. Preaching to the choir here I know, but so much work !

Attachments

• 801ADE84-EC7C-4581-B942-846DE7FC2A4E.jpeg
    801ADE84-EC7C-4581-B942-846DE7FC2A4E.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 68
K no bleach. If I do end up taking everything down and draining it all completely, what do you guys think? Boil each piece of rock and plant and scrub the tank walls endlessly? What about the sand.. this is my setup. I really don’t want to take it all down. Preaching to the choir here I know, but so much work !
If you take it down, drain it and do a bleach solution of 1 part bleach to ten parts water, scrub for a few minutes and rinse thoroughly a few times. Phoenixkingz was saying not to use full strength bleach. ;) it would be a lot less hassle than boiling and scrubbing each individual thing

Or maybe it’d be wiser to invest in another hobby.. ‍♂️

Or maybe it’d be wiser to invest in another hobby.. ‍♂
It depends on how.much you love your fish, there are some amazing cheaper hobbies out there but I happen to find this is worth it. You are the only one who can make that choice:)

I do not think you need to boil the rock just dip in the 10% solution for 10-15 seconds and rinse of thoroughly
Math was never my strong suit.. if I have a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons water, add what, 1/2 gallon bleach or so and dip and scrub and repeat? Then rinse it all a bunch. What about the sand?

The sand you may want to replace, bleach will do the job so you do not have to over do it. Like I said earlier I think it is a good chance the fish brought it with them and it was not the tanks fault So you could do what you did last time to clean the tank just leave the part out about leaving it sit in the garage.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back