Frozen themed walstad jar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Since I told my 4yr old that I'm making her a frozen tank she's been asking about it every day so today I finally got started on it.

The jar itself is a cheap $15 7L cookie jar. Bottom layer is organic garden soil, middle layer is a mix of fine gravel/ADA Amazonia 2.0 aquasoil and top layer (when it arrives) will be Pisces white sugar sand which is meant to look like snow (for Elsa the ice queen and Olaf of course lol).

I've got some seriyu stone at the back and I'm thinking of planting some S.Repens between them.

Managed to find some really cool lights with a base that I can use for my nano builds. Got 2 more on the way like this one.

Eventually it will house some blue dream shrimp and snails.

I got an Elsa decoration too but it's just too big for this jar so I'm looking for the smaller 7cm version.

Will update as things get done but this is what I've come up with so far.

20210722_153337.jpg

20210722_153341.jpg

Since I told my 4yr old that I'm making her a frozen tank she's been asking about it every day so today I finally got started on it.

The jar itself is a cheap $15 7L cookie jar. Bottom layer is organic garden soil, middle layer is a mix of fine gravel/ADA Amazonia 2.0 aquasoil and top layer (when it arrives) will be Pisces white sugar sand which is meant to look like snow (for Elsa the ice queen and Olaf of course lol).

I've got some seriyu stone at the back and I'm thinking of planting some S.Repens between them.

Managed to find some really cool lights with a base that I can use for my nano builds. Got 2 more on the way like this one.

Eventually it will house some blue dream shrimp and snails.

I got an Elsa decoration too but it's just too big for this jar so I'm looking for the smaller 7cm version.

Will update as things get done but this is what I've come up with so far.

View attachment 140224
View attachment 140223
She's a lucky girl!

She's pretty excited. I told her I was getting her blue shrimp and she said she wanted rainbow shrimp lol I might do it skittle styles and get a mix of different colour shrimp! Haha
I would be careful getting a mix of shrimp with different colours so you should get a bunch of the same sex or different species to avoid ending up with brown shrimp.

I would be careful getting a mix of shrimp with different colours so you should get a bunch of the same sex or different species to avoid ending up with brown shrimp.
Yeh i thought about that. I could get blue dreams and some crystal reds and i know they won't breed.

Just finished planting the jar and filling it with water. Pretty happy with how it came out. I planted some dwarf hairgrass and S.Repens in between the rocks. Filigree Milfoil in the background and pink baby tears on the sides. Stuck some moss on the rocks at the back too. I may add some more hairgrass at some stage but I'll give it a few weeks to see how everything grows in.
20210801_151707.jpg

20210801_151717.jpg

Last edited:
Or just make them one 😝
I’ve just spent my Sunday morning cleaning out guinea pigs they promised to look after…they won’t be getting anything else that needs looking after for about 10 years, and then I’ll think long and hard 😂

I’ve just spent my Sunday morning cleaning out guinea pigs they promised to look after…they won’t be getting anything else that needs looking after for about 10 years, and then I’ll think long and hard 😂
Kids are great like that haha

Just finished planting the jar and filling it with water. Pretty happy with how it came out. I planted some dwarf hairgrass and S.Repens in between the rocks. Filigree Milfoil in the background and bacopa monnieri on the sides. Stuck some moss on the rocks at the back too. I may add some more hairgrass at some stage but I'll give it a few weeks to see how everything grows in.
View attachment 140752
View attachment 140751
Wow that's nice! I just thought of something that might have been a tad late but whatever. You could get some small sticks that look like trees, or make a copper wire tree, and then cover it with christmas tree moss and scatter it around the background. Also I think you should add more plants or add some floaters as it looks too bright.

EDIT: Actually you could just put Christmas Tree moss on the rocks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back