From the beginning: Cycling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mmarch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
since I started my 55 gal tank, I had a lot of troubles because I didnt know anything about anything..
Right now I'm learning more (so probably I would be able to have some fishes alive)
Well , I need to understand better about the water cycles, the amonia, etc levels..
When is a cycle complete, how do i notice that. Right now I dont have the carbon running in the filter because Im medicating the water with kick-ich, so the treatment lasts 15 days, Im on the 7th.. how do I know about the cycles in my tank?

Please, I need to know!!
:blink:

The cycle has finished when the ammonia and nitrite levels have gone down to 0 and the nitrate has started to rise,this normally happens within one or two weeks of starting a cycle but the only sure way of knowing is to test the water every few days,once a tank has cycled this can be cut to once a week and after six months to once a fortnight.

Carbon should not be kept in the filter except for when removing medications or after a bad ammonia/nitrite spike,long term use of carbon can strip essential trace elements from the water which upsets the fish and can cause PH swings,also carbon only has a lifespan of three to six weeks and after that period will leach the collected toxins back into the tank.

Getting your own test kits imho is essential to know what is going on in your tank and as cfc says regular testing....

It would also be worth checking your tap water to see whats going into the tank ;) - where I live 50-60ppm of nitrAte out the tap :eek:

:)

Thanks to all,
So , is there any problem if I leave the carbon out from the filter for the 15 days treatment?
and what do you mean with the cut out?

Bye,
MM :huh:

it will not harm your cycling to leave the carbon out of the tank for the 15 day period. you will need to leave the carbon out as it will remove the meds and make treatment all for naught as cfc said. after treatment is complete, use the carbon to remove any remaining meds in the tank.

when treating a tank with ich it is best to continue treatment for 10 days after the fish stop showing signs of ich. ich is a free swimming parasite that attaches to a host to feed. when the fish are showing the symptons of ich you will notice the salt sprinkling of white spots on the fish. the parasite cannot be destroyed while it is on the fish. you have to wait til it is free swimming to destroy it. that is why you should continue treatment for atleast 10 days after the signs of ich disappear.

usually at the end of a cycling, you will notice the water in the tank turning a milky white. this is called a bacterial bloom and signals the end of the cycling and the presence of the essential bacteria in the tank. do not worry if you do not notice it. sometimes it does go unnoticed.

semper fi

Okay, Thanks
But I still have one little long snake with a little powder on it, is it going to die?
Please tell me what to do?
Do I have to take it out?
Do I have to repeat the treatment a second lap?

Please I need to know!! :(

Thanks,

Most reactions

trending

Back