From salt to tropical

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ComicClown87

Reaction score
Hey all,
Iv just broke down my gorgeous mixed lps/sps reef tank that was running for a few years. Mainly because of worry and stress about something going wrong. With new kids aswell time was getting less and less. Bit of a shame really but did have lots of fun with it.
Anyway moving onwards, iv decided to reuse the tank and do another planted tropical/community tank.

The tank itself is a red sea reefer 250 (65 gallon) with sump. Which i presume will be a good place to house bucket loads of biological media and filter floss. Done away with the protein skimmer but the auto doser could be used if needed.

I actually planted out the tank last weekend with easy plants and 18kg of tropical soil. Not decided on co2 yet, will give it a month and see how things progress. Added some soaked bogwood and green slate. Started the cycle off with some harlequin rasboras.

Now the question is how many small community fish do you think is manageable for this tank? as it's going to be plenty over filtered with the sump and media.

Anyone else running a similar setup?

Cheers

@Colin_T should be able to help. He has kept tons of SW tanks.

We also need to know the pH, GH, and KH of your water, in order to find suitable fish for your tank. :)

I kind of know what fish are suitable, my water is soft at around 2dkh, pH at the moment won't be stable as the soil is lowering it at the moment.
I'm just wondering about stocking numbers tetra and rasboras?

Il be keeping Cardinals and rasboras. Maybe one other species down the line.
Would people suggest 20-30-50? Not too sure

Also another question I have is regarding the lighting..
I'm using my existing ecotech radion xr30 that was used on the reef. But obviously iv switched out the profile to a planted one. Which turns the blues down and ramps up the green red and uv channels. Iv also removed intensity down to 30% to start with. Does this sound about right?
Many thanks

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back