From lurid to slightly planted - rebuilding my original 17g/ 65l

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Well I started out at Christmas with a lurid clown vomit tank and a couple of mollies (once cycled)
20210202_200154.jpg

I quickly realised that was maybe not the kindest environment, or most suitable so negotiated with the small dictator that a sandy substrate would be kinder for the fish, and gradually removed our fantasy kingdom when she wasnt looking. I added plants but had zero idea how to plant them in our sandy gravel mix....

20210302_144316.jpg

Then my attention got taken by my 55g/200l tank, which is finally up and running. My best efforts with this one were bitty and the stones were sinking in the sand etc. The substrate was lower at the back than the front and the floaters you can see in this one didn;t cope well with the filters.

20210316_172450.jpg

So spent today putting in an external filter, removing all the plastic plants, trying to smooth the substrate out a bit and get some cuttings from the thriving plants in the big tank. It will never be as pure as if I had started from scratch - there are still hints of the hidden clown puke gravel, and I mixed a bit of planting substrate in along with some root tabs to give the plants a chance. I've tried to build a tiny cave at the front with the stones for fry. It doesn't look planned, but I think considering where I started it looks a lot better.

I'm redoing a cycle with ammonia as I couldn't fit all the HOB filter media into the external & I want to be completely sure before I put fish in (but not at 3ppm concentration for the sake of the plants - only 1) and then going to put my male guppies in (If I can catch) and some fry till they are big enough to sex.....

sorry for glare in last picture, its still a bit cloudy from the messing too, intend to take better pictures when its all settled down
20210412_171729_2.jpg

looks cool, remember that moss balls do not like lightl, i cannot tell since it is cloudy :)

Really? They have been in for months. I will keep an eye on them. I don't think the light is particularly bright, unlike my bigger tank.
i had a low light, but i put the moss balls at the middle where the light is strong, and they all turned white on the outside but i saved them.

Sticking a new image in now the water has cleared a bit and things have settled in. Excuse the eldoea in the corner, Ijust chucked it in for now. I've also lost my glass cleaner so waiting for a new one to arrive. So on balance, not that clean and not the best photo ha ha!! But I want to stick a weekly photo in to keep track for now :)

20210420_184410.jpg

Sticking a new image in now the water has cleared a bit and things have settled in. Excuse the eldoea in the corner, Ijust chucked it in for now. I've also lost my glass cleaner so waiting for a new one to arrive. So on balance, not that clean and not the best photo ha ha!! But I want to stick a weekly photo in to keep track for now :)

View attachment 134914
love your platy, its the one on the contest rite?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back