Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m considering setting up a terrarium/Vivarium. Had reptiles in the past and done very well with them, my corn snake lived until she was 24yrs but Iā€™ve always wanted to keep frogs, I find them fascinating and have decided now is the time to do more research and possibly get the set up, well, set up! In particular Iā€™m looking to keep Vietnamese mossy frogs.
Do any of you keep them or frogs of any type and what do you think I should know from a current keepers perspective before I move forward on this?
Thanks everyone :)

Iā€™m considering setting up a terrarium/Vivarium. Had reptiles in the past and done very well with them, my corn snake lived until she was 24yrs but Iā€™ve always wanted to keep frogs, I find them fascinating and have decided now is the time to do more research and possibly get the set up, well, set up! In particular Iā€™m looking to keep Vietnamese mossy frogs.
Do any of you keep them or frogs of any type and what do you think I should know from a current keepers perspective before I move forward on this?
I have never kept frogs but I can say that those frogs have been on my to-keep list for a long time. They are really cool looking.

I don't keep frogs, but I've spent a fair amount of time studying dart frog and reed frog husbandry before I pivoted to a crested gecko.

One thing worth considering is the amount of noise the frog will make. Most frogs are nocturnal, and some can be quite loud. This can be a problem if you're trying to sleep in the same room or in a nearby room. I believe Vietnamese Mossy Frogs are nocturnal and have a moderately loud call.

It sounds like Vietnamese Mossy Frogs are social, so I would go big and get a group. This would probably make for a more active and entertaining display anyway.

Always try to get captive bred frogs as many of the species are endangered in the wild.

Also consider a diurnal species like dart frogs, Mantella, some toads, etc.

Hi,
I've kept different kinds of frogs throughout the years. But my main focus were darts, reed frogs and tree frogs. Well, nobody can tell you which one you should choose. But do some research first. For not every type of frog is easy to maintain. And do you want a night active frog or one that's active during the day? It's not that funny after a while when you try to sleep and those frogs start becoming alive during the evening and night. For a serious number of them make a hell of a noise that goes through the walls. So, if you still wanna be friends with your neighbors, get a species that has a nice canary like sound or just a species that just makes a zooming sound.
And the type of frog is also important when it comes to the degree of moisture in the vivarium. And do I need a small pool or not? Not all frogs can swim. And most important, they eat live food.
And be sure that your vivarium is really closed. They're terrific escape artists...

I have three fire belly toads for over 3-4 years in a 10 gallon tank. About a 1/3 filled with water. Rocks on the left of the tank covered with Java moss and open on the right for when they want to swim. In the back corner I have a Tetra waterfall filter, looks like rocks and filters the water and returns back into tank which is now covered with moss. Feed crickets and wax worms for a treat, no heater needed, thatā€˜s one reason I went with the fire bellyā€™s. Hereā€™s a picture, not a good one but you can see.

Attachments

• 98CD25B2-B3FB-47E3-BE52-46ADD8AAFB1B.jpeg
    98CD25B2-B3FB-47E3-BE52-46ADD8AAFB1B.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 33
Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I needed.
I hadn't considered noise, and not looking to get them until we move house so something to factor in.
I know they're semi-aquatic so that's understood. Also sourced captive bred so another tick.
Will do a bit more digging. TY

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back