Frogs in a fish tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pleco-Heaven

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Right Iknow for sure that I am going to get 2 30 gallon+ in the near futre. The first one I am going to have it as a dwarf Cichlid tank but the second one i want it as a sort of aqua-vivarium eccept no land bit just floating logs and having Amphibians in (frogs/newts/salamanders), my question is what type of amphibians wouldn't eat the fish and which fish would live in harmony with the amphibians?? :dunno:

I'm not quite sure, but I think your best bet would be to get non amphibious reptiles, just so they stay out of the water. just have a driftwood sort of tree system in the upper part of the tank so they can move around.
I mostly say this because even though there are frog out their small enough not to eat the fish, most of them either have
A: poisonous skin that will kill all of the fish in the water
B: live in cold water, and the fairly high temps needed to keep Dwarf cichlids (around 84) would be too much for them
But I'm not an amphibian expert so I really have no Idea. :)

little dwarf congo frogs can remain submerged in a tank indefinitely [obviously coming to the surface to breathe] :D and don't need any land at all and are fine in a peaceful community tank.

real firebelly newts won't get longer than your pinky and these would probably do fine in a tank like this but attaching the logs or building rocks out of the tank would work better than just floating for newts. these shouldn't eat the fish but maybe small fry, also dwarf aquatic frogs would be fine except again maybe for fish fry larger fish are more likely to eat your amphibians than the amphibians eating the fiah as they are very slow just try and keep faster fish with them which i would suggest anyway to keep your tank looking more active

sounds very neat and would like to see pictures when it is ready

Hi Pleco-Heaven :)

The link in my signature will take you to a thread that has lots of information and links about both the African Dwarf Frogs and the African Clawed Frogs. These are both totally aquatic frogs that might work well for you.

Which one would be most appropriate for your tank would depend on the fish you keep in it.

They are fun to keep and I think you would enjoy them. :thumbs:

If I were you, I'd either get totally aquatic frogs, or plan on making a small land area with moss and actuall land in the tank. Just floating driftwood generally isn't enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back