Frogbit shedding its roots?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BlazerBuddy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got some Amazon Frogbit off Amazona and I have noticed after a day of being in a 10-gallon aquarium, they all seem to be shedding their roots, why is this happening?
The roots come off and get sucked to the outside of my sponge filter.

I just got some Amazon Frogbit off Amazona and I have noticed after a day of being in a 10-gallon aquarium, they all seem to be shedding their roots, why is this happening?
The roots come off and get sucked to the outside of my sponge filter.
picture?
is your water flow blowing the roots around?

picture?
is your water flow blowing the roots around?
I don't have my phone right now, but when I look at it with my own eyes, the roots seem to be moving a decent amount. I added an air valve and turned the sponge filter bubbles down a bit, the roots don't seem to be moving that much anymore. The frogbit is still being dragged closer to the filter though.

I don't have my phone right now, but when I look at it with my own eyes, the roots seem to be moving a decent amount. I added an air valve and turned the sponge filter bubbles down a bit, the roots don't seem to be moving that much anymore. The frogbit is still being dragged closer to the filter though.
That isnt good……
Im pretty sure floats like that dont like flow at all.
Perhaps move it to a no flow place

It’s probably all of the water movement. Any way you can turn down/off the air stone?

That video was when I turned down the sponge filter. I can turn it down more but I want the aquarium to still stay clean.
just do more water changes or make a little spot just for the sponge filter where it cannot blow away anything else

I would not consider water movement the issue. If memory serves me, you do not have an overhead tank light yet, and this plant needs light. Floaters are fast growing plants and light is crucial to this. Second observation is that newly-introduced plants often need time to readjust to differing water parameters and conditions. There isn't much you can do about this, the plant just has to adapt. The light though could impede this. Also, are you using any liquid fertilizer yet? Nutrients may be missing.

I would not consider water movement the issue. If memory serves me, you do not have an overhead tank light yet, and this plant needs light. Floaters are fast growing plants and light is crucial to this. Second observation is that newly-introduced plants often need time to readjust to differing water parameters and conditions. There isn't much you can do about this, the plant just has to adapt. The light though could impede this. Also, are you using any liquid fertilizer yet? Nutrients may be missing.
I am planning on buying a light soon, right now I have it by a open window and a desk light shining on it. Should I keep the desk lamp on all night?

I am planning on buying a light soon, right now I have it by a open window and a desk light shining on it. Should I keep the desk lamp on all night?

No, but it should be on for a period of say 5-6 hours during the day (or whenever, so long as the plant has a period of total darkness too). Plants need rest, and I doubt there would be anywhere near sufficient nutrients for a longer light period.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back