Frightened new Oscars

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RedZombies

Reaction score
I just got my 3 Oscars about three days ago.
My fish tank has been set up on my table.
And everyone I lay on my bed, I’ll see them swim to the surface/ around the tank and whatnot.
But every time I approach the tank, they’ll all go to the bottom and it looks like they’re afraid of me.
What’s the reason for this and how can I improve so that they won’t become frightened every time I approach them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size tank do you have? How long has this tank been set up for?

Oscars are some of the most sociable fish and they will learn that you're the one who feeds them in no time.

They are in a new home and are stressed. I'm assuming they are juveniles as well. They can be shy at a young age.

What size tank do you have? How long has this tank been set up for?

Oscars are some of the most sociable fish and they will learn that you're the one who feeds them in no time.

They are in a new home and are stressed. I'm assuming they are juveniles as well. They can be shy at a young age.

Not sure of the measurements but it’s about 100L for now. I will upgrade soon though as I know they’ll outgrow the tank in no time. My tank has been cycled and it’s been running for a good 10 weeks now. All my water tests are up to date.

Yes they’re still juveniles. I just gave them a small feeding just then. They would swim along as I drag my fingers along the tank to the surface but after having two pellets each, they’d go back into commando and begin to become skittish all over again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Oscars grow extremely fast.... about an inch a month.

You pretty much should start getting a large tank together tomorrow if you plan to keep them. A 6ft 125 gallon tank is really absolute minimum for those 3 fish.

They really shouldn't be in that tank even temporarily.

As far as being skittish, it is somewhat normal for small oscars. But can also be a sign of stress and calls for some concern.

You said your tests are up to date, but what exactly are your numbers (ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite being most important since this is a new tank)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back