Friends Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
absolute toture and animal abuse lmfao, its kinda sad how other pet owners look down on fish even though so many people treat them horribly due to a lack of knowledge
You wouldn't believe how many times I explain to people why Goldfish requires large tanks ! When it comes to children, I tell them this : "try to imagine that 1) you would have to live in your bathtub 24hr, 2) without changing the water, 3) growing up in it while being stuck, 4) all alone without a friend. Think about this and discuss it with your parents.

Common Goldfish (Carassius auratus) can grow up to 45 cm and live up to 30 yo, so force them to "live" in less than 150 liters per fish has, I'd want to say, somewhat of criminal.
I totally agree. I'm so glad that I educated myself when I decided to start another tank. I believe if I had this forum years ago, I would have been mortified at my actions. I was told by pet store employees that goldfish will grow according to the size tank they are housed in. They did not say that a to small tank would stunt their natural growth. I truly believe that they themselves had no idea.

I'm not angry towards those who doesn't know even if I'm desappointed they do nor search before, but not angry. What makes me GRRRRRR is those that say "ok I change my tune" to finally buy 15 gal. and put 5 goldies inside. Goldies or other fishes that are more smart than humans think....

I'm not angry towards those who doesn't know even if I'm desappointed they do nor search before, but not angry. What makes me GRRRRRR is those that say "ok I change my tune" to finally buy 15 gal. and put 5 goldies inside. Goldies or other fishes that are more smart than humans think....

Right! If someone goes through the process of educating themselves of what's needed to have a healthy and happy fish family, but then do the exact opposite of what's proper, that's just plain abuse of the fish. That can apply to ANY animal that people take as a pet. That's why a lot of adopted/purchased animals get abandoned when the owner and the pet aren't compatible. They get an animal by the way it looks but don't research the requirements it's going to take to keep that animal alive and thriving. And if they can't handle what'sproper, the poor animal suffers in one way or another.

this thread has strayed too far from the original topic

Regarding the injury/whatever it is, it hasn’t gotten any worse or any better. The fish who has this is turning 7 in September. Unfortunately she has no interest in re homing the fish, I have tried to convince her but she still wants to keep the fish “I have an emotional attachment to them”. And yes she realizes that this is not best for the fish’s wellbeing. She doesn’t know if she can get a larger tank yet(most definitely won’t be able to get the recommended tank size but will still be better than what she has now) I will try to convince her parents to let her get a larger tank.

...Unfortunately she has no interest in re homing the fish, I have tried to convince her but she still wants to keep the fish “I have an emotional attachment to them”. And yes she realizes that this is not best for the fish’s wellbeing....I will try to convince her parents to let her get a larger tank.
So we're actually talking about a child here? Have you tried to explain the selfishness of that 'emotional attachment'? To be honest, it is a little bit more than 'not best for the fish's wellbeing', it is actual ongoing cruelty.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back