Freshwater Sump

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NeveR

Reaction score
Just curious as to if any FW fish keepers have made use of a sump?

I see a ton of benefits when using sumps for SW that can surely be transferable to FW tanks.

Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently designing a sump for my marine tank, and I think that freshwater keepers are put off due to:
-either having to drill glass or use an a syphon overflow box which may decide to stop syphoning (not good :X )
-space that is needed below the tank
-difficulty of sorting the plumbing out and risk of leaks
-cost of a suitable return pump.

Generally I think that while they do have benefits for freshwater keepers they are not as useful as they are for marine tanks where they are needed for refugiums and as space for extra equipment.

Sump filter / RO chamber is the future for my fish keeping having a tank with nothing in it, other than fish, plants and decor is how its supposed to be in my eyes!.
Having a sump built with drains access for 25% water change, along with water mains via RO into a seperate chamber of the sump, ready to refil the tank once drained down!!. ;)

Lot's of freshwater enthusiasts use sumps. The majority I would assume are cichlid lovers for the sheer fact that they must have such large tanks that it's helpful to be able to place the hardware in a remote spot. The added benefit of surface skimming on such large tanks is wonderful as well. Most cichlid lovers also require the extra bioload benefit of a sump/wet/dry.

I have sumps on all but one of my freshwater tanks. couldn't live with out them. If you build them your self, there cheaper and more effective that any canister filter.

ste :)

Im currently designing one for my 100g NW Cichlid tank! I think they are a great idea, fairly cheap and easy, and you get massive filtration.

Search "DIY Wet/Dry" for some easy projects.

DB :fish:

i use a sump on my 200 gallon tank.

I bought it second hand with my tank that was already prepared for it.

I love it, apart from a glass box in the middle and 2 inlet pipes that just break the surface there is nothing in my tank equipment wise.

You almost never have to clean it aswell!!

You can use what ever media you like aswell.

The only problem i had was getting my desired water flow, right now I'm running 2 Aquamax 2000 pond pumps which do a descent job producing a current.

it's also good for keeping bacteria alove for other tank, like at the moment i'ved closed down 1 of my tanks but the bio-media is ticking over in my sump!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back