Freshwater snail identification:

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jread

Reaction score
I was digging around in the San Marcos River in San Marcos, Texas on Saturday, and found that it was full of some sort of freshwater snail I'd never seen before.

They have pointed shells kinda like Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but not the same texture. They do have an operculum (trap door that seals off the shell) and their body is black with white speckles. I put a few in my snail tank for observation.

I took some photos of the largest specimen I found. This one was quite large but all the other ones were about 1/2" to 1" long. If anyone knows what in the world these are, please let me know:

Picture 1

Picture 2

I was going to say malaysian trumpet snails, but as you say they are not I can only assume they are a snail native to american rivers and which probably aren't common in the aquatic trade... There are a few texans on the board perhaps they will know or else someone local.

:) I seem to get alot of those snails with new plants, however I have only managed to keep one alive the others disapeared and if they were in the loach tank :byebye: . I haven't been able to find an accurate identification yet either, my current snail is living in my coldwater tank and is about 1 inch long and hardly ever moves.

ryan said:
:) I seem to get alot of those snails with new plants, however I have only managed to keep one alive the others disapeared and if they were in the loach tank :byebye: . I haven't been able to find an accurate identification yet either, my current snail is living in my coldwater tank and is about 1 inch long and hardly ever moves.
If you get spiral-shaped snails with new plants from the LFS, then those are Malaysian Trumpet Snails, which are very beneficial in planted tanks because they sift the substrate.

Your loach may have eaten them or they just may be in the substrate. I've got lots of them in my tank and I never, ever seen them. I'll just see the substrate "move" sometimes so I know they're in there. A trick is to go on your aquarium light in the middle of the night... you'll see them everywhere. The first time I did this I was shocked to see my tank covered in trumpet snails! During the day, though, you will not see them at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back