Freshwater Parrotfish Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finsandscales1234

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been looking around for a new fish and I was thinking about a freshwater parrot (blood parrot)! I know that they are chillids and don't get horribly big so I was wondering if you guys could lend me some help. I was just wondering about some extra supplies I might need and maybe even a few name ideas before I get one. 
smile.png
  I already have basics (tank,heater,filter,lighting,etc.) so I just want to really know what kind of food and pH and that. Please help and don't forget to leave a name! Thank you!
thanks.gif

fish.gif

fish.gif

(Edit) I have seen that many people do not like these fish because of them being hybrids. Wondering of any problems I might have?

How big is your tank, OP? Any other fish in it?

Red parrots aren't hard to look after. They'll need a meaty diet, preferably things like prawns or strips of white fish, like cod or pollack, although a good quality cichlid pellet would also be okay. They're not fussy when it comes to pH.

For a hybrid they're usually quite healthy, although they do have deformed jaws that can cause them problems with eating.

fluttermoth said:
How big is your tank, OP? Any other fish in it?

Red parrots aren't hard to look after. They'll need a meaty diet, preferably things like prawns or strips of white fish, like cod or pollack, although a good quality cichlid pellet would also be okay. They're not fussy when it comes to pH.

For a hybrid they're usually quite healthy, although they do have deformed jaws that can cause them problems with eating.
Thank you that clears a lot up for me
smile.png
any name ideas?

Blood parrots are often dyed with other colors. Which is harsh. It adversely affects thier lifespan

I personally dont like them. They are hybrids and their behavior is unpredictable.

Their moth cant be closed so you are limited to a few food options. You cant feed anything larger than their mouth opening.

Next is their deformed shape. It stops them from swimming properly.. Their tails are deformed

Lastly you should cycle your tank before adding fish

DerpPH said:
Blood parrots are often dyed with other colors. Which is harsh. It adversely affects thier lifespan

I personally dont like them. They are hybrids and their behavior is unpredictable.

Their moth cant be closed so you are limited to a few food options. You cant feed anything larger than their mouth opening.

Next is their deformed shape. It stops them from swimming properly.. Their tails are deformed

Lastly you should cycle your tank before adding fish
The tank is in the cycling process right now so I am not getting the fish right away. The pet store I go to doesn't dye any of  the fish, they are all their natural color. No blues or yellows there
smile.png

How big is your tank, OP, and are you intending to stock anything else with the parrots?

I don't name many of my fish and, if I do, it's because something has occurred to me after I've got to know them and their individual character, so I'm no good at thinking up names for fish I haven't met
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Back