Freshwater Gobys!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Vimy

Reaction score
I recently bought 2 freshwater Morunda (I think its splet like that) Gobys. Im having a hard time identifying them in any fish index or book I have, so I was wondering if you could provide a helpful internet site on them or any specific information on them.

Thanks for your help.

I have kept Morgunda morgunda,some times called the Purple striped gudgeon,great fish to keep although a little more difficult than most.I dont know of any websites for them but any questions just fire away and ill do my best to answer them (as im sure anyone else who knows anything about them will as well).

By the way what do you have them in with?Thought i should let you know they are voracious predators that will take out any fish they can catch and fit into their large mouths,i know of one that wiped out 20 small rainbow fish in a night :crazy:

Hi Vimy!

I have a tiny bit of info on bumble bee gobis... is that helpful? Does yours look like a bumble bee?

Here's what it says in a nutshell:

They like 75-86F water (24-30C)
pH - between 7 and 9... acid and freshwater lead to illness
Require the addition of 1-2 spoonfuls of sea or cooking salt for every 2 gallons of water.
Bright lighting softened by floating plants is ideal...

They eat small live food only
Behaviour: generally a bottom fish, also clings to plants with pelvic fins (is this what clown loaches do? I've seen mine stuck to the side of the aquarium before and wondered how they did it)

Social life and compatibility - strong territorial sense. They often live in one place which they only leave to feed or when disturbed. They are apparently difficult to keep with other fishes.

That's what my book says about bumblebee gobies. Sometimes the same family of fishes can have different personalities, so I don't know. I also know that this book has mentioned some things about not mixing certain fishes when people have done so successfully.
So, good luck! The photo of this little guy sure is cute! :wub:

From Native Fish Australia
Northern Purple Spotted Gudgeon

Scientific Name
Mogurnda mogurnda

Other Common Names
Northern Trout Gudgeon, Trout Gudgeon, Australian Spotted Gudgeon, Chequered Gudgeon

Size
Commonly 100 mm up to 170 mm

Habitat
Inhabits a wide variety of habitats from dams, billabongs and bores to rivers and including clear and muddy waters. With wide physiochemical tolerances, M.Mogurnda can withstand short periods of low oxygen levels, water temperatures from 5 to at least 32°C and salinities up to 10,000 parts per million

Reproduction
Sexual dimorphism is displayed during the breeding season, the male urinogenital papilla are pointed and may attain an intense blue colouration, in females the papilla are short and broad with a fringed margin. Spawning involves the adults swimming closely together, the female deposits a patch of demersal, adhesive eggs on a hard surface such a rock or log. Each clutch is around 50 mm in diameter and contains around 100 to 150 eggs. During the breeding season (November to February) the female may deposit up to 10 clutches. The male remains on guard over the eggs, fanning them with his pectoral fins to maintain a current of water until they hatch in about 9 days.

Diet
Mainly carnivorous, feeds on a variety of insects and crustaceans, molluscs, other fish, worms and some plant material.

In the aquarium
A very attractive and popular aquarium species, reasonable easily obtained though the aquarium trade. Often mistaken for the endangered Southern Purple Spotted Gudgeon to which it is very similar. Best maintained in a tank with adequate cover and with a water temperature between 20 to 27°C. The fish tends to be a fairly belligerent bottom dweller and will usually take only live or fresh foods. Suitable foods include small earthworms, brine shrimp and daphnia.

Will breed in captivity. It has been suggested that it is best if one female is kept with several males. Often the female deposits the eggs on the glass of the aquarium. The female and other males should be removed after spawning and the brooding male after the eggs hatch. If the adults are not removed, they will eat the larvae and any remaining eggs. Larvae can be raised on newly hatched brine shrimp and small rotifers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back