Freshwater Frogs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do they carry salmonella because i heardsomewhere they do ????

If they do is it catchable and is it dangerous ????

You can get salmonella from any type of aquarium....from handling raw meat such as chicken.....the key thing is to wash your hands and be smart about how and where you carry out waterchanges.

Salmonella is most often a problem with food and is what gives you food poisoning. As far as aquariums go, you are always at risk because no matter how frequent or large your waterchanges are or what type of fish or amphibian you keep, you are still coming in contact with feces. Poor hygiene is what spreads the bacteria.

Symptoms of salmonella are diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/general/prevention.html

Just wondering would these frogs be practical IF you holiday a lot.

I here they have to be fed blood worms every day

No, they shouldn't be fed bloodworms every day. These should only be fed maybe once a week as a treat, the same as for most commumity fish. Like fish, they should be fed on commercially produced food the rest of the week. Depending where you live, you'd need something like HBH frog and tadpole food (USA) or zoomed frog and tadople food (UK). There are other makes too, but those are the ones I can remember. I had to get my zoomed food on-line as I couldn't find a shop that sold it.

As for what to do if you go on holiday, I haven't faced that problem yet as we haven't been on holiday since I got mine. I'm lucky though as my son has to drive almost past our house to get to work, and in the past he's called in to feed my fish.

Dont feed them those pellets, they are grose. They will do better on frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, live ghost shrimp as a treat, and other frozen foods. On,y feed them pellets when you are in a rush, as the frogs dont like them.

I got the info about the pellets from jenste, who is the expert on frogs on this site. She says they shouldn't be fed on live or frozen live as their main food. She's the one who knew exactly what to do when my frog escaped from the tank, so I do tend to believe her.

I believe her too, i guess it just depends on the frog. Mine would never eat pellets, and after a week, i had to feed them something. It depends on the pellet too, some are better than others. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back